Saturday, January 19, 2013

When My Heart is Overwhelmed

"When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I." Psalm 61:2

My heart gets overwhelmed sometimes.  Too much bad news, too much chaos in the world. Uncertainty looms on every side.  My heart gets heavy with all I feel like I need to do, or want to do, or should be doing... and then I turn on the news to hear about school shootings and domestic violence and people getting sick and people losing jobs and families being torn apart.  Sometimes, I just want Heaven. 

The psalmist felt this, too.  He is writing from that place where he feels as if he's got one foot on the ground and one foot dangling off of a cliff, ready to fall.  I've been in that place before. You might be there now. 

He writes "from the ends of the earth..." What's at the ends of the earth? The end of life as we know it.  The space where we don't know where we are, we don't know how we got there, and we have no clue how to get back. 

Except we do.  When we are at the ends of the earth, or our wit's end, we have one we can call out to. Cry out to.  If we don't know how to pray, our spirit groans within us and does the praying for us.... because He knows.  And He hears, even when we feel our cries are falling on deaf ears. "Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. "- Jeremiah 29:12-13.  Note that these verses come right after God is promising us a future, of hope and promise, not of destruction.  Even when our future is bleak, He knows...He sees... and He cares.

When we cry out, it's often because we are on shaky ground. We aren't stable.  We feel as if the rug has been pulled out from underneath us.  However, when we seek Him, we are led to the rock. THE rock... that can't be moved.  THE rock... that holds all power.  THE rock... our foundation.  He is our rock in uncertain times.  He will be steady and unmoveable, even when we are not.

I don't know your situation.  It may be your job, your community, your family causing you uncertainty.  Right now, I know people that are experiencing all of these. We all face difficulties, but He will see us through. 

In Christ alone... He is the Solid Rock.  And His grace is sufficient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4g3Wu375PE

No comments:

Post a Comment