Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Somebody's Gonna Win....

Today's powerball is $1.5 billion dollars.

I'm not even sure how much money that is.

Wallace bought some tickets, so like most of America I'm dreaming of what would happen if I won the lottery.

Could you imagine the books I could buy?

And the time I'd have to read?

Seriously, though.

We'd pay off our bills and pay off our parents bills and make sure that our families were set. We'd support our church.

We'd provide a huge endowment to Breathitt County athletics and make sure that there were plenty of volleyballs to hit. The SMS football team would never have to fundraise again.

We'd sponsor scholarships to HCTC and I'd build a new nursing lab. I'd build a community rec center with an indoor swimming pool and a movie theatre.

We'd donate to charities. I'd use it for many, many random acts of kindness.

To be honest, I have no idea what we'd really do with that money.

Chances are, if someone does win tonight, they won't know what to do with it, either.

Even though I can't fathom that amount, I'm pretty sure it could  be more easily spent than one might think. After taxes... and paying off bills... and wasting it... and your 9,999,999 new friends...

And then there is the fear that would have to come with it. If someone found out you had that kind of money... what a huge target on your back.

So tonight as I'm dreaming about what would happen if I were to wake up a billionaire (hello, shopping spree!!!), I'm thinking about a verse from the Bible.

We're told to lay up our treasures in heaven. Our reward there can't be spent. We've received a free deposit into ourselves of our inheritance in the form of the Holy Spirit... and the inheritance waiting is more than we can imagine, too.

"Don't store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be."- Matthew 6:19-21





No comments:

Post a Comment