Sunday, January 17, 2016

A New Resolution

So, here we are.

Just over two weeks into the New Year.

We may finally be writing 2016 on our papers... or we may still catch ourselves with 2015 on our door schedules for the office.

The new year is no longer shiny and bright.

We're back in school, praying for snow days.

We're in all day Friday meetings, thankful for long weekends.

This year, I chose one word for 2016. Purpose. I want to live a life of purpose, being intentional. Looking at each day to ensure that I do all I can to fulfill God's purpose for my life.

Keeping purpose as my focus will hopefully impact my daily decisions. My attitude. My responses to other people, even.

But because I like lists, and like planning, I didn't just stop at one word.

I developed some goals to focus on. Sixteen of them, to be exact. Some are things that I do every year. Resolve to exercise more, be more thankful, read my Bible all the way through. Others I thought of because I want my life to be a purposeful city on a hill... so I resolved to be kinder through random/unrandom acts of kindness, to spend more time with those I love, to laugh every day, to write out a Scripture every day... small things that add up in the log run.

I've done pretty well. I've not exercised every day, but I'm still on target for the goal that I set. And I've not read my Bible reading plan every day, but I have read something in the Bible every day. Most days I've done something kind for someone, and I've been able to record a moment where I laughed every day.

But here's the thing...

I don't know how long I'll be consistent. Life has a way of getting into our plans. Expect the unexpected... and sometimes that comes in the form of late night ballgames, or running to town on errands for someone, or even taking a whole evening to snuggle with your baby niece.

And that's ok...

because life truly is more about the journey than the destination (well, ok... it's a whole lot about the ultimate destination... because that should influence every decision I make). You see, this resolution or goal setting thing is a process. Forming good habits and changing my perspective is a process. It doesn't happen overnight. And really, it doesn't happen through anything that I do. I can CHOOSE to make good decisions, but there will still be the day when I don't respond like I should, because I'm human and fleshly.

But God.

The two greatest words in the human language.

Even on those days when I lose my resolve, when I question my purpose, when I let me intentions drift away and choose to stay in bed under the covers because I just can't face the day...

God is there. And He is doing a good thing.

So, if you're like 30% of the population and have already given up on your resolution... or if you didn't even set one, there's good news for you.

Today can be Day One.

"I don't know about you, but I seem to be in need of a Day One resolution- a new one every day! Every single day I need to make a new commitment to put God first, trust Him with my life, and keep fighting the good fight."- Matthew West, Day One

As I seek my daily purpose, may I focus on commitment to Him... and that purpose will be fulfilled because He has a greater plan.

"The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness;
    his mercies begin afresh each morning."- Lamentations 3:22-23

 

No comments:

Post a Comment