Sunday, January 24, 2016

It's So Wonderful...

If I close my eyes, I can picture it.

There's a dog curled up on one rug and a cat lounging on the back of the couch.

Because I'm feeling like it's summertime, the screen door is propped open to let some fresh air in.

There's an open Bible and an ink pen on the kitchen table next to a plate of peanut butter and crackers and a glass of milk, ready for him to make his way home for lunch.

And she sits there, apron on, hair up in a salt and pepper bun, fingers poised on the piano keys.

She doesn't read the music, but she feels it in her bones.

True worship is like that...

An all body experience. It's what you have to get out of you because you can't keep it in.

The notes ring loud and true from the slightly out of tune keyboard...

and she hums along in her quiet voice.

The kids run through the hallway, slamming the basement door as they run to the hidden closet.

She just keeps singing...

"He made the lame to walk, and He caused the dumb to talk, and He healed them of their dreaded leprosies."

The girls have on her high heel shoes, purses slung over their shoulders.

Or they are sprawled on the floor, a game of Sorry stretched out on the ottoman.

"He made Jesus live again... It's so wonderful, what my God can do..."

The notes fade as she gets up to pour another cup of Sprite, to wash one more dish, to walk outside to swing...

And they are faded now, but if I close my eyes and try...

really, really concentrate...

I can just hear them in the background.

I'm not that imaginative, but there are some things that I hope I never forget, things that I hope stay engrained in my memory forever...

and her at the piano, or at the kitchen table with her head bowed in prayer...

I hope those stay with me forever...

Or at least until I can hear her singing in that angel choir.

It is wonderful, what God can do.

He still heals.

He still saves.

And He offers comfort like no one else can.

No comments:

Post a Comment