Thursday, January 14, 2016

Dreams Don't Work...

I've always loved to write. I do my best thinking with words, pen on paper; or lately, keys on keyboard.

I can't remember a time when I didn't enjoy writing. Oh, I didn't like writing my alphabet over and over again... but creating stories? I'm pretty sure I did that from the moment that I knew how to form words.

I mostly write for myself, although I like sharing here to help encourage others. I feel like if it's something I'm struggling with, chances are there is someone else who needs encouragement with it as well.

Sometimes I have this big dream that maybe I can write something worth reading...

I mean, a lot of the times I think I write things worth reading.

But I dream of publishing.

Having my name in print.

Doesn't that sound prideful?

I have lots of story ideas. I have Caleb, who provides me with endless content... except he's getting older and isn't too fond of me sharing those stories.

I could write about nursing. So many things that you do in the clinical setting are hard to believe unless you experience it. Nursing is truly the best profession on the planet, some days... but it is very, very hard on other days. It can be one of the most rewarding and most challenging all in a matter of seconds.

Or I could write about Eastern Kentucky... maybe a fiction novel set in a small town like Jackson, where nothing really happens.

A devotional? I love reading my Bible.

To do anything well, you have to practice, and that's what this write 365 days is for me. It's creating the habit of writing. I still do this pretty late at night, just before bed, and not for a set time. Just making sure I get in at least 15 minutes a day.

To be a "true" author I would think I'd need to be more committed. Set aside an actual block of time each week.

So, maybe as I look ahead to the coming week, as I reflect on this past week, I'll try to add in a small block of time where I could work on an actual writing project. Maybe spend some time brainstorming some ideas.

Because dreams don't work unless you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment