Saturday, January 31, 2015

SSMT Verse #2 1 John 4:10

Love consists in this: not that we loved God but that He loved us & sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.- 1 John 4:10

From the NIV- This is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

This.  Is.  Love.

As I embarked on this year to love, that was one of the burning questions in my mind.

What is love?

We define it in so many ways.

We portray it in so many ways.

As we age, the meaning may change...

but truthfully, true love never changes, because This. Is. Love.

God created me in His image, but I was separated from Him.  He had a perfect Son, one who was free from sin.  Because He loved me before I was even formed, and longed to be with me forever, He looked at that perfect Son and asked something of Him that is unfathomable.

He sent His Son to become The Word made flesh, to be the propitiation, to be the atonement.

To be the hilasmos.

The appeasement.  Pacify.  Satisfy.

I could never satisfy the requirement, but He did.

He was the atonement for all of my wrongs.

He willingly did this... gave up His throne for rags, gave up being worshipped for being ridiculed, gave up His power to be powerless, and was beaten and scorned and mocked...

And died for me.

Love consists of this.

Herein is love.

Look no further.

It's not in your husband or wife or kids or job or sports or the SuperBowl. 

It's in the cross.

This. Is.  Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment