Sunday, January 25, 2015

Heroes

Human emotions are such a funny thing.

There are certain things that make me tear up almost every time I think of them.

A wedding, where the bride is walking up the aisle in her perfect dress with her perfect hair, and the moment the groom looks at her... and is in awe.  There's no better evidence of love this side of Heaven.

Except, perhaps, holding a newborn baby and seeing those eyes seek out their Mamas.

Or someone holding someone's hand as they take their last breath.

And Taps.

Taps gets me every time.

Today I sat in a darkened theatre sniffling and wiping away tears.  I started almost the minute the movie started, because I had read the book and I knew the story.

Sure, it was a dramatization, but war is real.  War is scary.  And real people are affected.

Real men and women sacrificing their lives...

Real spouses left at home, to wonder and imagine the worst, to take care of sick kids and pay the bills and live life, alone, with part of them missing.

There's no way you can depict that on a screen... but I'm pretty sure that American Sniper did a pretty good job.

There have been so many outspoken people talking about Chris Kyle and the movie. 

Calling him a coward.

Condemning him because of his kills.

But here's my take.

He's not a coward... he's like every man and woman who has been shipped overseas not knowing what was waiting for them.

And while he did kill, it was his job.

I know the Bible says we aren't to kill, and that vengeance is God's, and I totally get that...

but how do you explain Bible stories like David and Goliath and Samson... didn't God give them the strength to fight those battles?

Today, as I sat in that theatre and watched footage of the Twin Towers, I felt myself getting a little mad at the comments I had read...

While I know that most wars are political in nature, and I'm not into politics so I really can't contribute to that conversation, I do know this.

I will NEVER forget how I felt that morning, as I watched that plane fly into that building and saw the smoke and the terror on the faces of fellow Americans as they ran, dust covered, through the streets of NYC.  I will NEVER forget the concern on the face of my Aunt June, who was visiting from Michigan, knowing that her son in law was on a military base that could very well be a target.

We were vulnerable.  And yes, the war on Iraq and Afghanistan and Osama Bin Laden may very well have been driven by politics, but that doesn't mean that the men and women like Kyle who responded to that call are any less than heroes.

So, today, as I wiped away tears, I patted Caleb on the leg and thanked God for him.  I said a prayer for my military family and friends and for the guys Wallace served with, and I thanked God... again... that the farthest Wallace ever had to go from me and Caleb was Texas.  I mourned for senseless deaths and for those who are still struggling with the emotional havoc, which may be worse than physical wounds.

And I came home and logged on facebook.  One of my online Bible study friends had shared a video of her son in law returning from deployment.  It's of her granddaughter. She spies him, and starts running, arms outstretched. She dodges other people and he leans down and her arms go around her neck.

Her Daddy is a hero... her biggest hero...

And we all need to remember that those men and women are somebody's Daddy, somebody's husband, somebody's son...somebody's Mama or sister. 

And regardless of whether we are pacifists or Christians or Democrat or Republican, they deserve our utmost respect...

because one day, the battle may be here.  And I'd be more than happy to have a Chris Kyle on my rooftop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment