Monday, February 2, 2015

And So You Know... Accountability Part 1

So, at the beginning of 2015, I set some goals. Not resolutions, because resolve is just too hard a word and I can't commit to that, and also because I don't want to be totally disappointed if I don't follow-through and meet my goals.
However, we can all use a little self-improvement (some of us just more than others), and because accountability tends to help me stay focused, I thought I'd fill you in on how those goals are going one month into the new year.

(ONE month in!  Can you believe it? I closed my eyes and it is February 2nd, and the groundhog says there's more winter to come, and personally I think someone needs to just shoot the groundhog and put him out of his misery... but I digress).

My goals were as follows, with a summary of how I'm doing in bold.
1. Above all, focus on LOVE in everything that I do.  There you go... that's my one word.  LOVE. Loving God. Loving myself.  Loving others. More about that later.
Oh, boy! This one is hard.  I knew it would be. I knew it would be a challenge... and thus far it has.  I have caught myself stopping, sometimes, and thinking, "Is that what I would do if I was acting in love?" However, I've got a long way to go. There is so much turmoil in our community, in our world. It's basketball season and that always makes it hard, with referees and crazy fans on other teams (who probably feel the same way about me) and a husband who sometimes brings his stress home from the gym (Hello, game film for the 9,999 time!)
But I can see a little improvement.  A little.  And we're all works in progress, right?

2. Writing on this blog every day this year.  That's right.  365 posts, whether I have anything to write about or not.  I'll try to provide a disclaimer at the beginning on days when I'm just not feeling it... but it's about discipline and we all know how I am about discipline.
30/31 days. Sometimes the posts have been great. Sometimes they've just been a few words... and while it wasn't perfect, it was close, and close is good, at least for me. 

3. Exercise.  Consistently.  Even if I hate it.  10,000 steps at least 6 days a week. Using the fitness room at work more often. And perhaps this will be the year I finally convince myself to work up to running a 5K?
This is the one I'm probably the most proud of right now.  I put in over 50 miles walking/slogging (you know, a slooowww jog) over the month.  25/31 days I walked over 10,000 steps.  I used the fitness center at work 9 days in the month, and 24/31 days I exercised at least 30 min or walked at least 2 miles.  I also downloaded an app from My Asics geared toward running a 5 K and I'm on week 2.  I ran 0.5 miles the other day, which doesn't seem like much, but it's better than nothing. Small steps, people.

4. Read my Bible all the way through. I'll be reading my Chronological Bible. I did this in 2012 and it was awesome.  I allowed myself to get distracted the past two years, and while I've been in the Word, it's not been as consistent as I'd like it. In addition to that, I want to complete 4 in-depth Bible studies.  I've already got them picked out and ready to go.  Kelly Minter's What Love Is (How fitting for my word!), Priscilla Shirer's Breathe (about Sabbath Rest), Lisa Harper's Hebrew, and Melissa Spoelstra's Jeremiah.
And this is the one I'm the least proud of.  While I have been consistent in participating in my P 31 OBS Bible study, and am pretty much caught up on reading through Colossians with my Hello Morning group, I am about two weeks behind on my Chronological Reading.  I'm on Week 2 of What Love Is.  I definitely need to work on prioritizing time, because this should be my most important goal. I do find, though, that when I get my reading in, it's just what I need to read, so I'm not going to stress about being "behind".

5. Cross something off my bucket list.
Nothing to report here.

6. Count 1,000 gifts... or more.  Try to keep a blessing jar. 
Doing pretty good on this one.  Haven't started a blessing jar, but I'm writing down at least three gifts most days.

7. Love in action to other people- you know the drill. Random acts of kindness.
Still pondering this one.  I'm giving more compliments. Trying to speak to people and smile more.  Trying to think on how I can make a big difference with small things.

8. Read at least 125 books. That's one book almost every three days.  This just might be my favorite challenge! (Last year I read 161 books.  What!?!?)
I read 10 books in January. More on what I'm reading in February in a later post.

9. Memorize 24 verses this year through Beth Moore's Siesta Scripture Memory Team.
Memorized 1 John 4:10 and Galatians 5:14.  I'm working on Micah 6:8 right now.

So, good stuff so far this year.  Hello, February!

No comments:

Post a Comment