Friday, July 6, 2012

Random Ramblings

It's late at night and I feel like I've been up for hours but the little boy next to me is just too daggone sweet.  He's downloading music from Itunes and the TV is on and I am feeling like I'm in sensory overload, but then I remember that it's probably just me getting old. I would have liked nothing better than to lay on the couch tonight, even though it's a Friday night, but Caleb had other plans.

Fireworks in Jackson... brings back lots of memories.  Of swinging at Kiwanis Park on the old metal swings or sitting on the merry go round and watching those colors light up the sky.  Walking through True Value parking lot and seeing friends from school, looking forward to meeting up with those I might not have seen for a while.  In years past, we've watched from Monthly Parking... usually with a crowd from the Clemons Clan.  Tonight, though, it isn't even the fourth.  I wasn't really in the fireworks mood, but Caleb would be to go, so off we went.  I was left to fight the crowds by myself... Wallace is off somewhere training.  I was afraid it would be just me and Caleb, but ended up watching with my Mamaw Na.  Papaw Jr. enjoyed the show from the van.  I'm sure he was really watching the back of his eye lids. 

A night of that boy sitting next to me, one who is quickly growing up into a manchild.  Sitting next to my grandma... and also talking to everyone around.  So much like his daddy.   And as he talked to those around us, I listened... to Miles, now 3 but still a baby to me, chatter about the hills catching on fire and fireworks going "Boom"... talking a mile a minute.  Reminding me that life is precious, and before we know it they grow up...

Tonight I've been thinking a lot about sacrifice.  I'm not really happy about Wallace having to leave all the time.  I miss him like crazy, even though I know he's probably glad to get a break.  But then I think about the real reason the 4th of July is so special... families like mine, and little boys, getting to watch fireworks in freedom.  Because of brave men and women... who sacrifice.  Sure, Wallace is only gone this weekend.  One weekend a month... and he'll have to go for an extended training later on... but there are others who are gone for months.  Young men who I remember in grade school... in some foreign land protecting and serving for my freedom... regardless of your feelings about whether Afghanistan is any of our business, they serve.  And even if they weren't in any danger, they are still giving their time... time from their families, time from their lives. 

So thank you... Thanks to Wallace, who sacrifices so I don't have to.  And thanks for all in the service, and their families.  Tonight, as the imprint of those red, white, and blue fireworks are still in my vision, I'm appreciating them just a little bit more... for you.   God Bless America...

No comments:

Post a Comment