Monday, May 28, 2012

Remembering...

 Today I'm struggling with what to write here.  All weekend I knew that on Monday I'd blog about Memorial Day, because it would just be logical, but I'm not sure exactly what feelings I wish to express.  Memorial Day is the kick-off to summer, so for many who are off from work, there will be cookouts and trips to the lake and pool parties, fresh cut watermelon and sunshine and sunblock. 

For another group of people, those who have lost loved ones recently,and for some in the more  distant past, it is a somber occasion of visiting cemetaries and decorating graves.  For those who have lost loved ones in the last few weeks, my condolescences to you, as I know it must be hard to greet this, your first Memorial Day for those loved ones. 

Historically, Memorial Day was a somber occasion, set aside for a special group of people, those who dedicated their lives so that we might be free.  Those men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice so that I could live, serve God, and love my family without gear.  Dating back to the Civil War, Decoration Day was extremely important for those unknown soldiers or those who had been buried in mass or unmarked graves, because it was a way to show respect for a fellow countryman, even if they might have been on the other side of the fence. 

Today, as I'm typing this, I'm reminded of what Memorial means.  According to dictionary.com, the meaning is "preserving the memory of something" or "something set aside as a memory".  Memorial Day isn't for the present time... it's to honor our past and to teach our future about that past.  As a young child, I can remember visiting my Grandma Na's brother G.W.'s grave and decorating it.  G.W. was a WWII soldier who paid the ultimate sacrifice.  How many years ago was that, and I still get tears in my eyes at Veteran's Day ceremonies when G.W.'s name is read... because through Grandma's actions, she helped me remember.  She helped me appreciate, and I am proud that my family is a part of that legacy.

Memorializing something is a uniquely personal experience.  For some families, it is hard to visit graves.  This year, Wallace and Caleb visited Papaw Gary's grave while I was at work.  Caleb was two when he died, yet as he placed flowers and wrote him a little note, Wallace said he cried, because we have helped him remember Papaw Gary.  It is through our remembrances of those we have lost that they can live on.

We need to remember those who have served, not just those who have died, but those who are currently serving.  This morning, I read that a young gentleman that Wallace and I watched grow up is leaving today for his second tour in Afghanistan.  How ironic that someone who I can remember at a very young age is now fighting so that I can be free to raise my son?  These young men and women are true heroes, just as those who fought long ago.  We can memorialize them while they are still fighting by remembering them in prayer, covering them in prayer, and lifting them and their precious families, who also sacrifice, up. 

And above all, may we remember what God has done.  America would not be who she is without Him.  May we always hold tight to this, and remember...

Have a blessed Memorial Day however you choose to spend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment