Monday, May 14, 2012

The Human Yo-Yo

Yep, that's me.  I've shyed away from this topic but it's time I face it full-on... I am a human yo-yo.  I'm not talking about my emtions, although Wallace and Caleb would probably say I'm guilty of that, too.  I'm talking about my weight.  Up and down, then up some more, up, up, then down a little... you get the picture.  And you're probably a lot like me.

I am sickened by those who can eat whatever they want to and not gain a pound.  I know this is not a Christian attitude to have, but I'm still guilty.  Wallace also makes me sick, with all his talk of running, sometimes up to 13 miles at a time.  Really? Who enjoys that??? Maybe it's that I think I would... if I could only make myself stick to it.

There are several reasons for this yo-yo.  One, I'm a picky eater.  I know that junk food is bad and fruits and vegetables are good.  I even think that beautiful summer salads are, well, beautiful... but then when it comes to me actually eating them, I can't help but think they taste like dirt.  I know this is all in my mind... but it's still there.  Secondly, I'm a stress eater.  Rather, I'm an emotional eater.  Happy?  Let's go out and eat to celebrate.  Sad?  Let me grab a bag of salty potato chips and they will make them all better. Stressed?  French fries are sure to make it better... but then it doesn't.  Thirdly, I have a lack of self-discipline.  I know that.  I think that's why it kills me so much that Wallace runs, and runs, and runs so more.  The sad thing is I KNOW that I feel better when I exercise. It's just the act of getting started.

Tonight I went to Zumba and it was wonderful. I probably won't be able to walk tomorrow, but I'll force myself to do an hour up and down my lane.  I'll try not to eat quite as much and I'll also try to drink all the water I'm supposed to.  And did I mention that I bypassed Dairy Queen on my way home tonight even though my mind was screaming, "Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard???"  Yeah, today has been a pretty good day.  We'll just have to see about tomorrow.  I'll probably never be able to run with Wallace... but I'm putting one foot in front of the other again, and that's a little progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment