Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Family Reunion

Tonight I went to the funeral home for my great-aunt Josephine's wake.  I will probably write more about her tomorrow, because she truly was a wonderful person and my Grandma Bert's best friend.  Tonight, though, I've been thinking about how crazy life is.  We run and go and never stop.  I live on the same road as my Mom and Dad and sometimes go two or three days without seeing them.  Funerals are sad occasions, but it's nice to get to visit with people that you don't get to see often.  It'd be even nicer if we could stop and pause in our busy everyday lives to visit when the circumstances aren't so sad.

People I'm glad I got to see tonight include my cousin Brandon.  Brandon and I grew up 6 months apart so much of our younger years were spent running from each other. (Ok... he ran from me.  For some reason, I always wanted to hug him. And he didn't like hugs).  We spent a lot of time playing detective (he was always the detective and I was his assistant).  We had classes together through school, and when he got his license 6 months before I did, he came to my house and picked me up to go riding around.  Brandon is a great guy.  He's funny and likeable and works hard at his job.  We don't talk much, but I love him dearly and think of him often.  Lexington isn't that far away...

I also got to see the mothers of two of my dearest childhood friends.  Olivia was the sister I never had (ok, I had two... but she was like a sister to me).  Our grandmas were first cousins, and when we met in kindergarten, it was like we had known each other all our lives.  Today I got to see Livi's Mom and Grandma. Both looked as beautiful as ever, and the hugs I got were great!  I also got to see my childhood friend Harold Ray's Mom, Dottie. Harold Ray was (and still is) one of the smartest people I have ever known, and we spent many a class together.  I've always loved Dottie, whose laugh is infectious.  I've prayed for her as she battled cancer, and tonight she looked wonderful.

And then there were lots of other people, too.  It's good living in a small community where everyone knows everyone else in this situation.  So many faces, so many smiles and pats and hugs, because everyone sympathizes with one another.  And just sitting with Holly, Warren, and in front of Mamaw Bert, visiting... I need to do that more often.  Not in a funeral home, but sitting on the back porch rocking with Mamaw Bert, or on Mamaw Na's porch swing. 

I'm sure you have those people you'd like to see more, too.  I know we're all busy, but let's make an effort to pause and spend some time with those we love.  We never know when we won't have the opporunity.  And seeing all those people tonight that I loved made me think of those who have gone on.... of my family in Heaven.  Grandma said tonight, "I can just picture Jo smiling down on me right now." She's up there with her Mom and Dad and sisters... what a family reunion that will be.  And we will have all the time in the world, then...

No comments:

Post a Comment