Sunday, May 27, 2012

"I Have a Question"

Caleb's favorite phrase right now is, "I have a question."  He's been questioning since he was a young age, which is great because he truly wants to know things.  He is very analytical, always ahead of the game and quick with a comeback.  Today, as I lounged by the pool and attempted to read my Kindle, watching Caleb in the pool, he started a flood of questions.  The conversation went something like this:
 "Mom, does God have a po..?"
"A pool?" (I'm getting hard of hearing in my old age)
"No, a pulse.  Does God have a pulse?" Hmm...
"I don't know, Caleb, but we're made in his image, so I would think maybe."
"Well, what if heaven is a virtual world?  and do you think there are souls with us right now?  Are souls invisible?  Will we get to meet lots of people in heaven?  And will we meet people like Chris Tomlin?  and what if some people don't love the Lord but we think they do, will we meet them there?  If not, where will we meet them?"

When he finally paused to take a breath, I slowly responded. Some things I don't know when I answer his questions, but I do know this... Heaven is not a virtual world. There will be a new Jersualem and a new heaven and a new earth and we will truly be with God.  Souls are invisible right now, within us, but one day we will all have glorified bodies.  I'm not sure what those will look like, but they will be more perfect than we can ever imagine, and I can't help but think that God's perfection isn't our perfection.  Yes, we will get to meet people in Heaven, and we will all rejoice around the throne of God, and if someone doesn't love God, it doesn't matter how many people they fool down here, they won't fool God and won't get to be in Heaven. 

Back to swimming he went.  Satisfied, at least for a few minutes.  Sometimes he asks easy questions, like "Can I have some yogurt?", but the thing with Caleb is you just never know... and sometimes he asks questions that this Mama doesn't know the answer to.  I'm trying to learn... but all I can do when I don't is to point him to the One who does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment