Sunday, May 20, 2012

Evil in the Sight of the Lord

This morning I read from 1 Kings and 2 Chronicles in my Chronological Bible.  The reading detailed the division of Israel into two kingdoms, Israel and Judah, and the Kings which ruled over them.  The kings were listed, as were there deeds and accomplishments.  Following many of these kings, the writer would say, "And he did evil in the sight of the Lord."  Evil... not a pretty word at all.  In the sight- plain view (as if there is any other way with God).  These kings just didn't care. They disobeyed commandments, worshipped other gods, and did pretty much what they wanted to do.

Everytime I read a passage like this I tend to think about our world.  It's a scary place when you turn the news on.  Killings, fighting, drug dealing, wrecks, people suffering and alone.  Evil... "morally wrong or bad, injurious, harmful, marked by anger", according to dictionary.com.  Too many times I've heard it say that our world have no morals anymore... and how true is that?  People doing what they want to do, in plain sight, for anyone and everyone to see.

Then there are those of us who try.  I mean, I do. I read my Bible and pray and try to do good for others.  I pray to be a light to this dark world.  I reach out to those in need and listen when someone needs to talk.  But how many times do I NOT make time for someone else? Or inwardly roll my eyes at someone?  How often do I truly listen, making people my priority?  How many times do I get angry, acting out of anger, yelling and losing my temper?  Too many times to count.... and that, too, is evil in the sight of the world.  Sadly, there are no different degrees of evil.  A sin is a sin in God's eyes.  Thank God there is no condemnation for them in Christ Jesus.  He has nailed my  sins to His cross and took my place.  So when I recognize that I am doing these things, I should stop, change my reaction, and try a different route.  The moral high road, where I try to do good, not harm, and don't allow anger to get the best of me.  Help me, Lord... Thank You for Your mercy. I don't want to be one of those who leaves a legacy of knowing, but not doing. 

1 comment: