Wednesday, May 16, 2012

1000 Gifts

If you've read my blog, you know I've been participating in Ann Voskamp's Joy Dare for 2012.  I read her book 1000 Gifts and it truly changed my outlook on things.  Gratitude really does make a difference.

Yesterday's dare was to find three things about me that are considered gifts.  This was pretty hard for someone who is just figuring out that I'm okay just like I am.  Today's dare, though, was much easier... 3 gifts from The Word.

Let me just give you a disclaimer that the whole Bible is a gift.  The more I read it, the more I want to.  I'm reading my Chronological Bible through, and also doing a study on the Proverbs 31 woman.  Also, I'm doing a study on Hebrews and one on Knowing God.  I may not do each of these every day, but the best days are days like today when I don't have anywhere to go so I can sit and soak it all up.  As I said yesterday, reading is one of my favorite things to do... and I'm loving God's Word more anad more.

So my three gifts from the Word today?  These came during my readings today in the Proverbs 31 study and the Knowing God study.  Micah 6:8 (I cited it wrong in my tweet and facebook status..) My paraphrase: Know, o man, what God requires.  Seek justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God.  This verse is a gift because it is a simple prescription for living a Godly life.  Seek justice... if you seek, you will find.  Justice is important in this world that is so mixed up. Love mercy... because we have been extended mercy, we should extend it in kind.  Walk humbly with your God... meaning He's my God.  And that I can walk with Him? Wow!

Psalms 139:23-24- I love this whole chapter, These verses essentially say, Search my heart, O God, and know what is in it.  If anything is in there that shouldn't be, help me get rid of it (again, my paraphrase). What a gift that God will look at our heart and call us on it.  I'd much rather Him do that than to let me go along in my sinning!

2 Timothy 1:10... I'm going to quote this one, because I loved it when I read it today.  I had read it before, even had it underlined in my Bible, but it is so meaningful today.  "And now he has made all of this plain to us by the appearing of Christ Jesus, our Savior. He broke the power of death and illuminated the way to life and immortality through the Good News.".  Christ Jesus, our Savior, appearing to us.  In our hearts today, but soon to us in person.  He broke the power of death and illuninated... brought to life so we could see it... life and immortality through the Good News (His Gospel... His Word).

God has a way of giving us gifts. I wrote those verses down early in this morning, during my quiet time.  Tonight, I am saddened by the loss of a young lady in our community.  Her Mom was my boss at the hospital and loved her girls so much.  I can't imagine her grief, nor do I want to try to. She left behind a beautiful little girl who no doubt doesn't understand.  I'm also saddened by the loss of the mother of one of my Mom's childhood friends.  Tonight, I'm praying for those families affected.  May you be comforted in the illumination of immortality.  Death may separate you now, but He has given us victory so it is not permanent. I know that doesn't help lessen your loss... and no words can.  But I'm praying for them from the bottom of my heart. 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your personal loss and the loss to your community.

    Psalms 139:23-24 is what I consider one of the "dangerous" prayers of Scripture--one of the ones I'm sometimes afraid to pray. But God is so gracious. Even when He's digging out the dirt hidden in our hearts, He's doing it with love and a gentle hand (assuming I'm yielding and obedient to His work). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete