Friday, March 2, 2012

Stormy Weather

Caleb has always been fascinated by the weather.  When he was little, if it was 5 PM, WKYT and TG Shuck had to be on the the TV, regardless of what else we were doing.  He has always talked about tornados and thunderstorms and snow. 

Today, as we raced across Kentucky trying to beat the storms, I felt like a storm chaser.  Black clouds rolling around Louisville, and reports of tornados on the ground across the Commonwealth.  Caleb just looking out the window, taking it all in.  The weather reports had been bad... we had severe weather on Feb 29th, with a tornado hitting in nearby West Liberty, and members of The Weather Channel were moving into Central Kentucky to report.  I don't think anyone knew what to expect... and then it hit.

At this time, reports of 4 dead in Menifee County.  West Liberty reported to have received massive damage, as was Salyersville.  Hitting close to home?  I think so... and somehow when you look at all that devastation, it makes it hurt a little bit worse when it is people in your own backyard.  Tweets coming for help from EMT, and the National Guard moving in.  I don't know a whole lot of people in those counties, but I do know a few.  I've been there for ballgames.  My Dad is the Farm Bureau Claims Adjustor for Magoffin County.  I can only imagine the devastation he will see.

My heart breaks.  For all those things that money can't replace... pictures, family heirlooms, peace of mind.  For those things that maybe money will replace, but in Eastern Kentucky, where so many are impoverished, this might be money we don't have. 

The storms are still moving through.  Jackson has been spared, God's hands watching over us.  Please join me in prayers for all those who have been affected, in Indiana, Georgia, Alabama, and my Eastern Kentucky.  It's dark now, storm clouds are still moving in, so it's really untelling how much damage has actually been done.  Prayers for peace and comfort... in the dark tonight.  Psalm 139:12, "Then I said to myself, "Oh, he even sees me in the dark!       At night I'm immersed in the light!"    It's a fact: darkness isn't dark to you;       night and day, darkness and light, they're all the same to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment