Saturday, March 10, 2012

When Reading is Hard

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to read the Bible all the way through.  My sweet sister Holly bought me a Chronological Bible for Christmas, and I set out determined to see it through.  Then, I got to Leviticus... Numbers... Deuteronomy.  All hard reading.  I struggled through, knowing that everything in the Good Book is for my example, and I can surely get something out of it.  I fell behind, though, as I read through the census and the names of all of those Israelites, which I have no clue how to attempt to pronounce. 

Then came Joshua.  I've always liked the book of Joshua... seeing God's promise fulfilled.  However, I was struck this time with how final God's judgment was. In order for them to get their Promise Land, someone else was displaced.  And in this situation, displacement meant death, because they had transgressed God and defiled his law.  Tough stuff to swallow.

We often see God as an all or nothing God. I like to envision Him as my Daddy, kind and loving, a present help in time of trouble. And He is that, and so much more.  He loves because He is love, and is full of mercy and lovingkindness.  However, He is also a jealous God.  He is a God who requires our love and devotion, and expects us to follow His commandments.  After all, it is what we were created for. 

In tough times, many ask how can a loving God stand by and let bad things happen?  If He's omnipotent, why doesn't He stop things?  We don't know the answers to these things, and we are taught not to question, even though at times this is nearly impossible because of our fleshly thinking.  We are also told that all things work together for them who love Him (Romans 8:28). 

The Israelites had to do some things they didn't necessarily want to do to receive the Promised Land.  They had to work for it, to fight for it, to claim it.  Likewise, we have to do the same.  Joshua 18:2, "How long will you neglect to go and possess the land which the Lord God of your fathers has given you?"  In other words, we have to MOVE to possess what God offers.  We often have to take the first step, after much prodding by our Father.  He does have a plan and a purpose for us, even if we don't understand it.  And if we are willing to take that step in faith, we will receive His promises, all of which are Yes and Amen in Christ Jesus.  (2 Corinthians 1:20).  When we make that move, we will see fulfillment of His promises- Joshua 21:43, "So the Lord gave to Israel all the land of which He had sworn to give to their fathers, and they took possession of it and dwelt in it.  The Lord gave them REST all around..." ( I capitalized rest because that's what I'm looking forward to). 

This isn't where I was going when I started out writing.  I wanted to point out that when I got to that part in Joshua, struggling through all of those lots to the children of Israel, my eyes once again glazed over at all those names.  However, like the Israelites, I kept on moving in the direction that God wanted me to go... and eventually I received His promise to me is that I will get rest.  Eventually... just got to keep struggling through.  Thank You, Lord, for a fresh Word even when it is sometimes stuck in between words I can't pronounce. You are too, too good...

No comments:

Post a Comment