Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Bandwagoner

If you know anything about me, or read this blog at all, you know I'm a big sports fan.  Football is my favorite, but during March, March Madness gets the best of me.  There's something about tournament time in the Mountains that gets your blood pumping.  That all or nothing, do or die philosophy... watching kids leave it all on the floor and hustle because they know it may be their last chance.

I cheer for so many teams that sometimes I get confused.  I actually yelled out the wrong team a few weeks ago, much to Kami's extreme embarrasment (she was sitting next to me). Sadly (or happily, as it would have been), that other team wasn't even playing. I don't think anyone noticed. I'm especially glad that Wallace didn't notice... he probably wouldn't have liked it.

 So yes, I'd consider myself a bandwagoner... however, here is my theory behind it.  I'm not an obnoxious bandwagoner, changing and only cheering for the winning team.  I'm not that type that gets mad and changes teams, either.  I cheer for those I love, with the realization that in high school sports, every kid is a kid regardless of how much you love or hate the coaches, refs, or that kids parents. 

I cheer for Jackson City, obviously, because those girls (and the guys, even though I don't know as many as well) are our own and because I love that crazy girls coach.  I cheer for Breathitt because that's where I literally grew up, and it's in my blood (you don't do something for 30 years and just stop).  I cheer for Owsley because we know a lot of people there since Wallace coached there.  The past two years, I've cheered for Perry Central Lady Dores because of Kendall, one of Kami's best friends and one of the best girls players I've ever been priviledged to watch.  After the storms went through, I find myself cheering on Magoffin County's girls team, because let's face it, it's tough enough to win without having to think about your county being ripped apart.  Recently, I jumped on Buckhorn's bandwagon... they are a small school whose kids have played together since 2nd grade.  They lost last night to Knott County in the finals of the 14th region.  We won't even go there, because I am still too upset over what happened Monday night to write a post that would not be completely unfair and potentially slanderous...

Today, I'm going to drive across the state with Mom and Kami to cheer on a team that I'm really hoping can bring home the state championship.  I only really know one person on the team.  I know that they've been working hard for this all year long.  We know they are taking on the number 1 team in the tournament.  They are currrently ranked #3.  It's going to be a tough game.  That's why they need all the supporters they can get... I just hope they don't mind three bandwagoners going along for the ride.  Kendall Marie, this one's for you.  Go get 'em, Dores!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment