Saturday, March 24, 2012

Rainbows and Happiness

Today was Friday, which usually puts me in a good mood.  I also got to have lunch and catch-up time with one of my favorite people in the world, Jenna.  And me and Wallace got some quality time together on a trip to Booneville (our best time is in a vehicle.  He can't get up and move... grin). 

So all in all, it was shaping up to be a good day.  I desperately wanted to take a nap before the big U of K game, but I'm also trying to do better about walking.  I decided to go for a quick 30 minute walk.  It felt great outside, with just a light mist... that soon turned into a downpour.  I had only been going about 15 minutes, though, and I REALLY did not want to go inside and get on the treadmill.  (I have a love/hate relationship with our treadmill.  I love to hate it.)  I pressed on through the rain... and it was worth it.  The rain started slowing down, the clouds started moving out, and there, right over Twin Cedar Road, was the prettiest rainbow. A double bow... stretching as far as you could see.  So bright that it seemed like I could reach out and touch it.  I so wanted a picture for my picture a day album.  So... I ran.  Yes, this girl ran home.  I was huffing and puffing by the time I made it up the porch steps.  And, as you might have guessed, the rainbow had pretty much disappeared by the time I got back.  However, as I kept walking, I could still see the shimmery color.  Not as bright, but it was still there.  And I felt like I was loved, like I was special, like God put that little color in the sky right for me.  To remind me that it may not always be bright.  It may not always be obvious, but He's always in the background.  His promises are true, and I can count on them.

Thank You, God, for small reminders, for lunch with a dear friend, for time with family, for a win for the Wildcats... and for your grace and mercy that makes all those things insignificant in light of what I can hope for.  Promises are not made to be broken... but they are a sure thing because of a covenant born of a rainbow and finished at a cross. 

No comments:

Post a Comment