Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Lord is My Shepherd- My Psalm 23

All definitions are courtesy of dictionary.com.  In the risk of plagarism, I will warn you that I didn't cite all of them with quotes... but feel free to look up the words in bold. 
The Lord is my Shepherd (guardian, herder, protector, guider). 

I shall not want (feel a need or desire for... Oh, Lord, how I desire things when all I need is You. I shall not wish.  I shall not crave.  I shall not demand.  I shall not be DEFICIENT... You are all-sufficient El Shaddai).

He makes me to lie down (not stand up, or run, or creep, or crawl.  Lie down... where I am.  To rest)

in green pastures (green, fertile, good for eating.  Good for nourishment.  Good for contentment.  New life springs up green as it buds... He makes our lives green with newness).

He leads me (I don't have to make up my own way.  He already has a perfect path planned.  I don't have to worry about detours. He will show me the way.)

beside the still waters (still...remaining in place or motion, free from the chaos of the world around me, free from the sound of confusion. No rapids for me to rush through, no whirling waves to fight through.  Just still, calm, cool water of refreshment.  This is my God...)

He restores my soul (Oh, thank You, God, for restoration!  Putting the broken pieces together again.  Restoring me when I am exhausted, when I am at my wits end.  You are an awesome God if You can do that.. and You can, do exceedingly more than I ever imagined. You give back what I have lost.  You make new...)

He leads me in the paths of righteousness (I who have only filthy rags, have been made righteous through Him.  The Good Shepherd, who humbled himself for the sheep.  Righteous- justifiable, moral... which I am not in myself.  And as it is used in today's slang, "absolutely genuine or wonderful"... Isn't He truly RIGHTEOUS?)

For His Name's Sake (Ahh... the Names of God.  El Shaddai. Adonai.  Immanuel.... God with Us, as our Shepherd. I AM... Yahweh.  El Roi... He sees.  Jehovah Nissi, My Banner.  El Olam, Everlasting... For His Name, for His glory...)

Yea, (Yes. I.  Will. ) Walk through the Valley of the Shadow (Shadow- image, comparitive darkness... but is it really there, or just a figment of my imagination?) of death (final... How I shudder when I think of that word.  Confusion.  Hurt.  Grief.  Death... separation.  But it doesn't have to be, because...)

I will fear NO evil (nothing can separate me from His love.  No death or life or principality... nothing.  I will fear no evil because He has not given me a spirit of fear.  He says be strong and courageous.)

For You are With me (A very present help in times of trouble... a help now.  A help here. You are always there... because YOu are the Great I Am.)

Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me (soothe, console, reassure... make joyful. Make peaceful.  I find shelter in Your wings.)

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies (I know I shouldn't feel this way, but that's a "take that"... because You are good and love me even when others don't.  You take care of me even when others won't).

You anoint my head with oil (consecrate, make sacred, dedicate to the service of God- can I get an Amen?  I am sacred... this means I need to act like it.  Hello, Lauren.  You.  ARE.   SET.  APART...)

MY CUP RUNS OVER (Isn't that just like God?  Doesn't just give us what we need... but He is more than enough. HIs grace isn't just sufficient. It's running over and pouring out so that we can bless others... yes, the excess isn't just for me.)

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me (meaning that I must demonstrate these as well... there's the hard part) ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE (that means today, tomorrow, and the next day.  When I'm 50 and 65 and as I rock my grandbabies)

And I will dwell in the House of the Lord FOREVER (Is there any place you'd rather be?  Even so, Lord Jesus, come...)

Amen, Shepherd turned King David.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment