Thursday, January 19, 2012

Tomorrow...

When I was little, the movie Annie used to be my absolute favorite. I think it might have been my first movie that I ever watched in a movie theatre. I loved it and would watch it over and over again. I owned Annie dolls and Annie books and even had a pair of Orphan Annie glasses with her picture on the arm. I've watched it in Musical form a couple of times at Jenny Wiley and I can still remember how scared I was when Punjab (? spelling) helped her into the helicopter at the end...

Probably one of the most memorable moments in the movie for me was the song "Tomorrow"... especially when Annie inspired the President of the United States to join her in the singing. And yes, I live by the creed of tomorrow, but more along the lines of Scarlett O'Hara- I'll deal with it tomorrow. Yes, I am a MAJOR procrastinator. I also like to overcommit- yep, that word "No" isn't really in my vocabulary (unless it is Caleb; I tend to say it a lot to him.) So after a busy, four day week, I'm staring at a to do list for tomorrow that is scary. Long. Lots of stuff that HAS to be done. Little time to do it. And my students have check-offs next week so I have to be in the lab some for them tomorrow. So, normally at this moment I'd be freaking out. Or burying my head in the sand or a really good book, and just trying to forget it all. Tonight, though, as I was looking at all I had to get done and thinking about a busy weekend and an even busier week next week, I took out my planner and highlighted my "have to do" stuff. I kind of have a plan. And I wrote in my planner, in big letters all the way across tomorrow's box, "I am NOT going to get overwhelmed. There's nothing me and God can't handle. Philippians 4:13" And I mean it. Because despite everything that I "have to" do, there is One who is in control. He will see me through. He has numbered my days and He has a plan for me and if I'm willing to follow Him, He'll steer me right. Because His grace is enough. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I will go try to tackle a couple of items on that to do list, because today is yesterday's tomorrow, and maybe I've put it off long enough =)

No comments:

Post a Comment