Friday, January 6, 2012

On Getting Older

I feel old tonight. Not really old, but old enough. It's not really about an age thing. I mean, I feel young. I don't think I'll ever be the kind that gets upset about getting older... turning 30 didn't bother me... so I don't foresee turning 40 or 50 will bother me, either. However, I feel old when I think about some things. Like Holly getting married. Or Kami graduating and going to college. Tonight, what made me feel old is realizing that me and Wallace have been in this thing for a long time...

Tonight we played Hazard. Wallace was on his end of the sideline, stomping, jumping, yelling, stomping, and yelling some more. On the other end of the sideline, also yelling and stomping, and looking kind of similiar, is the reason I was feeling old. You see, I can remember when the other guy on the end of the court was just a little thing. I've went to church with his family almost all my life. And Wallace coached him as a freshman in high school. They won the freshman district tournament with a great group of guys, then came and crashed at my house (a single wide trailer with one bedroom, a couch and a recliner... I spent the night with my Mom!) I watched Tyson grow into a great basketball player, and tonight he proved that he's made a fine coach, too. Of course, he started out right, with a bunch of girls at an EKU summer camp who talked their coach's wife into taking them to Walmart, where they bought the necessities for a homemade slip n slide to build in the dorm's hallway...that's a story for another night, and one that I'll not soon forget!

So, I guess the point that I'm trying to make is, You are only as young as you feel. And I think we've got a while to go. I hope so, at least. I know that my "life is just a vapor.", but I'm going to enjoy it while it's here. Everyone has a purpose in life, and we're here to build others up, and encourage. This includes fostering the younger generation, supporting them and helping them do everything they can to reach their optimum potential. And that also includes being proud of all of these nurses, teachers, coaches, PTAs, etc. that Wallace and I have "helped" raise... and I'll take the credit for most of them. They've made this coaching Mama proud =)

No comments:

Post a Comment