Friday, January 20, 2012

Looking close up...

1000 gifts. Numbered in a spiral notebook. I'm only on #56...Life, lived,in it fullness, in its thankfulness, looks a little different with a lens of gratitude. Ann Voskamp got it right in here book... I'd highly recommend it. Sometimes, a change of perspective is just what you need.

Three gifts that you didn't see until you looked close up- Caleb, the fading of his boyish cheeks starting to look grown-up. The line of his glasses on his nose and the hairline, starting to get fuzzy as the hairs grow a little too long. Spaghetti curling on a fork and the glint in his eyes as he slowly pulls those noodles up... the realization that he doesn't spill a drop of sauce on him, whereas only yesterday (it seems) we couldn't get him spaghetti in a restaurant because of the mess.

Close-up they huddle, bent over an IV arm, a mannequin, practicing, helping each other figure out the right steps as they practice, practice, practice. Questions, and laughter as they realize they are getting it. From far away, across the room, they are indiviuals, but close-up, they are a team. That's how nursing is... teamwork for the best of the patient. These students, gifts to me, and hopefully I am a gift to them.

And lastly, close-up, my Bible open. Reading His Word, to me, from thousands of years ago. A letter to my heart. This, perhaps, is the closest of it all, because it can be in my heart.

Thank You, Lord, for opening my eyes to small, everyday miracles. For sustaining, redemption, love. For life, lived, even in the madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment