Sunday, January 8, 2012

New Beginnings

Tomorrow is the first day of the spring semester. I know all of those college kids out there are ready to roll out of bed, ready to burn the candle at both ends. They've got their new ink pens and highlighters ready to take lots of notes, and new notebooks to fill up. New year planners are fresh and white with nothing written on the pages yet.

I love the beginning of the semester. I mean, I don't necessarily anticipate getting started back to work (and this semester is going to be lots of work, as we have a new edition of a book and my course is online... tough for Med-Surg, but I'm up for a challenge). What I do like is the newness... kind of like last week at the beginning of the year. The slate is clean and the Blackboard gradebook is empty. The possiblities are endless.

What is the same is that by this time next week, we won't even feel like we've left. The month-long winter break the students had will be long forgotten as they start preparing for checkoffs and exams, and working on online assignments. Before we know it, we'll be back in clinical and the day will be dictated with care plans and drug cards and lab values. We'll again be frazzled and stressed out and unfocused...

But not me. I'm NOT. This is a new beginning, and I'm not going to lose my focus. I'm not going to let myself become so overwhelmed with what I have to do that I lose focus of what has already been done for me. In this season of gratitude, I must focus on the One who makes it all possible, and by doing so, He will make all things possible. Including when there is work that seems to exceed the hours in the day. Including when I have a stack of papers on my desk to grade and online discussion boards to read and an exam to write and lots of other stuff to do. Because when I focus on Him, He helps me focus. One thing at a time, He'll see me through. Now, to revisit this in about a month ;-)

If you're starting back tomorrow, best of luck to you. Try to focus on one thing at a time, and make Him a priority. He'll help make you a success regardless... because His grace is sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment