Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hosanna

"So they took branches of palm trees and went out to meet him, crying out, “Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, even the King of Israel!”"-John 12:13.

I read on a couple of facebook statuses about today being Palm Sunday and April Fools day, and that God sent the foolish to confound the wise, such as the King of KIngs riding a donkey.  I don't profess to be wise, but this does confound me.  It amazes me.  That the King of King humbled himself to come to this earth and be despised and rejected for me.  As he rode that donkey, he knew his destination would be a dark and lonely time, a cross meant for sinners, the most shameful death imaginable.  As the people waved the Palm Branches and cried "Hosanna", he was not yet the Victor. He knew His future.  As they cried, "Save Now", he knew that He would save, but that many of them wouldn't accept it.  Instead, the crowd cheering Him on would turn into one yelling and mocking, crying, "Crucify Him, King of the Jews."  Yet He rode on.  He calmly spoke of the things His disciples could expect, but they did not understand.  Their eyes weren't open yet.  Their minds, like mine, could not comprehend a love that great.  I still can not comprehend, but I am so very grateful.  Sometimes my heart feels as if it would explode, because I thought I knew love, but it is a love that could never compare to His.

Can you imagine Him, riding into that city?  How His face would have almost glowed with a Heavenly countenance, He who was really nothing to look at?  He who was so glorious, hidden in the form of an imperfect man, yet perfect?  Love personified, God's Word made flesh.  His eyes must have radiated love, even to those He knew would reject Him.  Grace and mercy extended even as He faced the consequence of my sin, of your sin.  He knew... and He continued on.  Hosanna, Lord Jesus.  Save Now. We need a Savior, every day.  Save Now... and rule forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment