Saturday, April 14, 2012

Run the Race

I am not a runner. I don't profess to be.  I'm lucky if I can walk 5K, much less run it (ok, I'm not in that bad of shape, and I actually enjoy walking when I can make myself get started.  It's the first step or two that is the hardest.) I'd love to be a runner.  I have tried C25K, and I've promised myself over and over again that someday, I will do it.  I will run... at least by the time I'm 40.  (I don't want to push myself too hard.)

Taking the first couple of steps is the hardest... maybe that's why the author of Hebrews compared our Christian life to a race.  In Hebrews 12:1-2, he admonishes us, "Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Runnig this race, we should remember:

1. The cloud of witnesses: To me, spectators is what makes a sporting event.  Of course, I'm also of the mentality that cheerleaders really do influence the outcome of a game, and this mindset may stem from the fact that I have never actually been an athletic competitor, but only a supporter on the sideline, but I think the author of Hebrews has the same mindset.  Ever been to a game with a true home court advantage?  Why do you think the Wildcats play so well at Rupp Arena?  Or that Duke (yuck...) does so well with those Cameron Crazies?  The crowd does influence the players. The author of Hebrews points out that as we are running our race, we should remember that we have others spurring us on.  We don't want to disappoint.  They are waiting for us to finish, cheering us on wildly.  We should also be cheering each other on. 

2. Get the weight off: Ok, ok... this is where I'm saying, but if I'm running, the weight will come off.  It's the weight that makes the running so hard. This is true.  Wallace usually runs at least 4 miles a day.  In the past few months, he's gone through a couple of pairs of running shoes. He makes me sick as he runs on the treadmill, while I'm sitting on the couch on Facebook.  He's disciplined, I'm not.  He's got where it is pretty easy for him.  If he was running with snowboots on, though, it might not be as easy (but I bet he could do it.  I've got that much faith in my man...)  The point is, we all have things in life that hinder us.  One thing that I thought of as I read this morning is comparison.  I'm bad for comparing myself to other people (case in point, I had to bring up me sitting on the couch while Wallace ran.)  We are all made differently.  Our races in life are different.  When a person is really racing, they have their own lane.  You've seen it happen... as long as they are running their course, they have the lead. Then, when they start worrying about where everyone else is, they start losing ground. Looking back hinders us.  Worrying about life hinders us.  There's a million things that may hinder us... he tells us to throw it off.

3. Sin ensnares.  You can't run with your shoes untied, you'll get tripped up.  We have to figure out what is bad and get rid of it before it entangles us.

4. Run with endurance.  This is what gets me.  I can walk fine.  I can run, for about 30 seconds.  Then I start huffing and puffing and actually sweating and feeling yucky.  Endurance is what I lack... I can't go the distance.  Jesus told us we'd have trouble.  Those times are when endurance kicks in.  In times of trouble, when we dig in and get the job done. When we hold our breath and hold on to God as tight as we can, knowing that He's all we've got to get us through.

5. Look to Jesus. This sums it up. He's already ran the race.  He's there to pull us along.  He wrote the course, knows the paths our life will take us. He's got it marked, even in the darkness.  He promised to be with us every step of the way. He endured.  He suffered.  He was shamed, and maybe even was considered a loser (to many, as He hung on the Cross. Despised and rejected).  He pressed on because He knew there would be a reward.  We have to do the same, knowing we will have an eternal reward.

Keep running.  It may be painful.  It may be difficult, seem impossible.  You'll get sweaty and have pulled muscles and get exhausted.  But, oh, my friend, it will be worth it.  Now if I could just find my running shoes....

No comments:

Post a Comment