Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Best Job in the World

Today I am thankful for my job.  I just left the hospital after a crazy day of clinical.  I can remember those days, being overwhelmed because of patients and admits and discharges and medications and new orders and the need for urine samples.  Not even able to look up... today I about started hyperventilating, and none of the patients were even mine!  Nursing is a tough job, no matter how you look at it.  It's stressful physically, mentally, and emotionally.  After all, you are dealing with lives.  It always helps to have good coworkers, and the girls at the hospital are the best.

That being said, I love being a nurse.  I like listening to the patients and seeing them get better.  I like being the one to hold their hand when they are scared or worried.  I've seen some good patients, and some miracles happen.  It amazes me when I see kids I've had to send to Lexington out and about, or run into people in Walmart and see improvements.  In a small town, you always know your patients, or their families  or neighbors, so it's kind of like taking care of family. 

I also love teaching.  I love meeting new students and seeing their excitement when they learn something  new, when they finally understand a diagnosis or start their first IV or get a difficult concept.  I don't like grading, or testing, but those are things that I've learned to deal with.  I also hope that I am seen as a friend and not the enemy, a supportive person that has to make them work for their own good. Becoming a teacher was an easy decision for me, but it was also a pay cut.  I'm so thankful that God blessed me with a husband that is willing to work with me and be a true team, so that I can do what I love and get off in the summer with Caleb. 

And that brings me to my final point.  Nursing is great.  Teaching is great. But the greatest job in the world... "You are my mother."  That beats everything else.  I may not be the best.  I make mistakes every day, but having that little man wrap his arms around me and kiss me on the cheek makes all the hard work, all the long hours worth it.  Because I am his mommy... and there's nothing more wonderful than that! Thank You, God, for this blessing You  have given me.  He's Yours, on loan to me.  And I know You'll take care of him, because You're a parent, too.  Abba, Father... Daddy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment