Saturday, October 20, 2018

Audience of One

Yesterday my Dad and I were trying to have a conversation and Mel Belle just wasn't having it.

"Talk to me, Lauren. Lauren. Look at me. I'm talking."

Kind of reminded me of stories I've heard of me...

My favorite present every Christmas for three or four years was a homemade microphone with stand that my Papaw Paul would make me in his woodshop in the basement. I would stand in the kitchen and belt out songs, fully expecting my parents and grandparents and aunt and uncle and cousin Brandon to listen to me endlessly.

I was also the kid who got a tip from a waitress for singing "Tomorrow" at Disney World.

You could say I loved an audience...

but as I got older, not so much.

Only in this selfie generation, where everything is about what we post on social media, it seems we live for an audience. I'm just as guilty as the next person, thinking of how I'll frame my posts.

There's good and there's bad in that kind of life.

Lately, I've been thinking about what I posted and trying to make sure it holds up to a Philippians 4:8 philosophy. I'm not saying that life should always be great on social media, because that definitely isn't true life. I think it is important for us to be vulnerable and to allow others to see our weaknesses, especially if it is something we can use to encourage others.

I just think that we should think of how what we post affects others...and also how it affects our witness... because ultimately we should be about an audience of One.

This post is a part of a series for write 31 days (even though I missed yesterday...grace!) using free write prompts from Five MInute Fridays. Today's prompt? Audience.



No comments:

Post a Comment