Monday, October 11, 2021

Above

 Earlier this month I wrote down a manifesto of some sorts, to help ground me when I am overwhelmed. 

Today, as I was walking, thinking of all I still needed to do yet didn't seem to have time to accomplish, I thought of this manifesto. 

Breathe. 

Experience- ground myself in where I am using my five senses. I was listening to a podcast about complacency vs. intentionality, and I focused on the words. I am complacent. 

A soft breeze brushed against my skin. The gravel crunched beneath my feet, one foot in front of the other. Solid ground underneath. Trees on either side. 

So I glanced above. 


It's hard to stay grounded when you gaze at an infinite horizon. Even here in the mountains, where the view of the sky is often interrupted, the awesome vastness can be overwhelming in and of itself... but it's a good sense of overwhelm. 

Leading me into my next step on my manifesto- praise. 

The blue beckoned my attention and the white, wispy trails of clouds were calming. I was reminded that the same God who created that vast sky, who painted it that very blue and who brushed the wispy clouds across, created me, too. 

When you feel overwhelmed, pause. Breathe. Look around. Gaze above. 

Then, focus within... 

He'll do a work if we will only allow it. 

Your will, Lord, on earth as it is in Heaven. 

Keep me focused on those things from above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment