Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Few Words

Forgive me for the second frivilous post in a row, but seeing as it is approaching the end of the semester and I wrote three typed pages on my systematic review today, I'm feeling a little light and airy.  Or, as Caleb told me today, "I realized blonde was the true color of my hair." (If you are a blonde, I apologize.  It's just  been one of those days.  One of those weeks.  And it's only Wednesday.  I digress...)

So anyway, I was watching something or reading something and the word "serendipity" came up.  There are just some words that it makes me happy to say. This word is one of them.  I can remember being in about third or fourth grade and reading a book with said title.  Even at that time, I was an avid reader.  On the front of the book was a pink creature.  Because my memory sometimes makes up things, I googled it and found the cover of the book on amazon.com.  If you have lots of free time like me (ha, ha... my friend Jenna would say that this post is just another form of procrastination), then feel free to visit and re-introduce yourself to this series. http://www.amazon.com/Serendipity-Stephen-Cosgrove/dp/084313819X

Anyway, serendipity.  According to dictionary.com, this means discovery of something by accident. Good luck or good fortune.  I don't believe in good luck or good fortune; I believe in being blessed and favored by God.  But the word just kind of rolls off your tongue.

Kind of like Eureka.  I'm thinking the first time I heard the word eureka was when we were traveling somewhere and it was the name of a road, but again, my memory may be failing me.  Again, eureka is a sense of discovery, "I found it!" according to dictionary.com. I need a Eureka moment at the end of this semester.

And one of my favorites, absolute favorites. Onomatopoeia.  Don't you just love that word?  It means to use a word to imitate the sound made...  as in the buzz of a bee... or she murmered mmhmm.  What a delicious word. 

I'm a lover of words.  I don't always say a lot... I have a husband and a little boy that are good for that.  Maybe that's why I'm thinking about words right now, and the context of words.  It's hard to get a sense of emotion from words I'm posting on my blog, or from words in a text. These past couple of days, I've found myself reading texts over and over, because I'm trying to capture the voice of the word, of what is really being said.  And words can be beautiful things.

They can also be dangerous.  James said in chapter 3: "Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6 The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.
7 All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, 8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. "

As we think of our words, we must consider what they mean to those we speak to, and speak life giving words. 

So there you go... even though I thought this wasn't going anywhere, somehow it did.  Isn't God good like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment