Thursday, February 2, 2012

Vacation Memories

I've been wanting to figure out how to put pictures in this blog. I'm not a techie by any means, but I'm hoping that it won't be hard to do. There's a little image up at the top that looks like it would add a picture, so I thought I'd write about something just to share the picture. Ideally, I'd write about my picture for the day. However, I haven't really been keeping up with that resolution (although I do have as many pictures as there have been days in 2012 thus far, so I'm guessing I'm okay.) Anyway, I've also been thinking about how great it would be to be at the beach... even though our weather hasn't been that bad. This pic isn't your usual beach pic, but it's one of my favorite all time beach memories. Hope you enjoy... if you enjoy Caleb, you'll like it... just because he's an enjoyable type kid.
When Caleb was about three or four (time runs by so quickly now) the Griffith bunch headed off for his first trip to the beach. He loved the ocean (well, loved running away from it). He'd go down to the very edge of the water, just enough for his feet to get wet, and then come running back up to us as fast as his little legs would take him, arms pumping and giggling all the way. He had a green John Deere tractor that he somehow managed to lose, but he spent hours on that beach building mountains to drive his "crucks" (trucks) up and down. He loved the Nascar Cafe because it looked like "Papaw Jr's garage" so much that we ate their two days in a row. But his favorite part had nothing to do with the beach at all. Anytime us girls go on a trip together it always has to include shopping. Broadway at the Beach, with its eclectic, unique stores, is one of my favorite parts of Myrtle Beach. So one evening we headed off, us to shop, and Wallace and Dad loaded down with quarters to the "ride" section. It's expanded now, but back then there were mostly just a few of those little rides where you fed your quarters. Most kids want to try them all. Not Caleb. He fell in love with the ice cream truck and wouldn't get off. He rode that thing for hours. At one point, Wallace and Dad told him it was time to go and he said, "Now I don't know about you boys, but I'm going to stay here and ride this ice cream cruck." The next day, we went back... said ice cream truck was out of commission. I guess Caleb had rode it until it was broke. Now, when we visit Broadway at the Beach Caleb is all about shopping, visiting the Magic Shoppe and doing the trampoline jumping and the Imax theatre. However, as we pull out, we drive by that little section of the park, and we all (whoever it might be, as even those in the family who weren't present that day know about the ice cream cruck) have a good laugh. Thinking about a little boy who has grown up so much in so little time. Pretty soon, he'll be driving at Broadway at the Beach. Right now, though, I'm just going to enjoy these little things. Hope you've enjoyed it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment