Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Crazy about Caleb

I'm crazy about Caleb. And sometimes he just plain drives me crazy, but I guess that's how any kid is. First off, he's this unique bundle of energy that acts a lot like his Daddy. I don't get to see him near enough because I'm teaching evenings. I'm not complaining, though, because I know that in the summer, I'll get to be off with him, and that will be totally worth it. Today, though, I got to go pick him up from school; I parked at Lees and just walked up because traffic at pickup time at Jackson City is no fun. We walked down the hill to the car. Caleb talked. We got in the car and drove through town. Caleb talked.And talked.And talked some more.

We drove to Owsley County for a game. Caleb served as DJ, using his IPad and an auxillary cord that he "stole" out of his Dad's truck. He promised he'd remember to put it back. As I'm sitting here typing this, I'm also thinking, "Put auxillary cord back in Wallace's truck", since Caleb obviously forgot. We sang together, never more than half a song, We laughed and talked about what made the best songs. Caleb likes fast stuff.  He likes to dance and sing. He is very dramatic... I don't know who he gets that from (says the girl whose Papaw made her at least 50 microphone stands, and who held impromptu concerts in front of the fireplace at Christmas time, and who once got a tip from a waitress in Florida for her lovely rendition of some song that I can't remember at this time...)

At the game, Caleb went up and down and up and down the bleachers. Sometimes he about drove me crazy. He never sees a stranger.He sits with anyone who will talk to him, and never hesitates to initiate a conversation.He comes and stands right in front of me while I'm trying to watch the game... which makes me mad.I get nervous.

Other people find him amusing.He gets in popcorn fights with the ballgirls.He gets tired, and we head home. On the way out of the gym, "Mom, I was very well behaved, wasn't I?" Hmmm... my response, "Caleb, you are growing up. And yes, you were well behaved. You are acting so much older."Caleb, "Mom, sometimes you talk to me like I'm 5 years old, and I like that, because I'll always be your little boy."

Well... he never ceases to amaze me.  So more singing, laughing, and talking on the ride home. My little guy is growing up.He is turning into a little man.  One that still has the capability to grate on my nerves... but also one who tugs on my heart strings.  So tomorrow, I'm going to sing a little louder. I'm going to hold onto that hand as long as he'll let me, and tell him just how much I love him.   And I'm going to learn (hopefully, but this one is tough...) that a game is just a game and I need to quit taking everything so serious.

So thanks, Caleb... Momma loves you more than mint chocolate chip ice cream!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment