Thursday, February 16, 2012

Team Players

Ball season is almost over.  Next week is the District Tournament.  Tonight I watched two Seniors that I love dearly, on two different courts in two different gyms, walk out with their parents to be recognized.  Surprisingly, I didn't cry when Kami walked out.  I guess maybe I'll do that on Saturday, at State, or next week at District, or the next week at Regions.  She didn't seem too upset... I think we got most of our sadness out after football season.  With Brittany, though, the slide show got me.  It does everytime.  I did really good through most of the pictures, until one of her and Kendall Marie came up on the screen.  I've known those girls since they were babies, and they've been best friends for at least that long.  How can they be graduating?  I know they don't  feel nearly as upset about it as I do...  but anyway.

Tonight, at Jackson, they bought the other team's Seniors flowers.  I had never seen that done before and I thought it was really neat.  I also watched as a fourth grader scored over 10 points and our team patted her on the back.  Our team missed rebounds so she could get the ball and for once the coach who believes in pressing to the death (armageddon) told his group to part the waters and let her drive to the basket.  To me, that's what ball is about.  Not just the wins and the losses, but a love for the game, regardless of whose jersey the player has on.  A mutual respect, some healthy competition, but a handshake after the game. 

I know not everyone feels this way.  Seems like these days, it's all about how many points a player can score.  Parents upset about playing time and kids jealous of each other.  I guess it's always been that way... but it shouldn't be.  As we get ready for District tournament, let's all remember it's just a game.  Be happy for others, and leave the court as good as you were when you walked on.  Best of luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment