Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day!

Growing up, I was raised in church, whether I wanted to be or not.  As a teenager, I didn't always read my Bible.  In fact, I'm ashamed to admit that I rarely picked it up, unless I was really going through something.  I did, however, have a favorite verse. 

Ephesians 6:4, "Fathers, provoke not your children to wrath, but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."

My Dad and I are perhaps a little too much alike.  I was always a strongwilled and stubborn child.  Beginning at a young age, my Dad (and Mom) would put me in my carseat and drive me around just so they could get me to sleep.  My Dad worked hard to provide me with My Little ponies and Strawberry Shortcake dolls, with books and stuffed animals.  I had two favorites, Honey Bear and Carrie, a doll that by the time I got finished with it, her head had to be sewed back on (from use... I promise I did not decapitate the doll.  At least not on purpose) Anyway, one vacation I took my two favorites to the beach.. .and somehow left them.  Even though we were miles away, my Dad turned around and went back and got them for me.




I can remember many a night pulling up a stool to his desk, where he sat reconciling bank statements and computing figures.  Even though he was working late into the night, he would pull up a pad of paper and give me his adding machine, and we would play.  He was Thomas Matthew, a name I know now he pulled straight from the Bible.  Even in play, he was trying to point me in the right way.

He would go door to door in our community and ask people if they wanted to go to church. He'd often bring me along.  He truly embodies that quote about not looking down on people unless you want to help them up.  My Dad is always there with a helping hand.

In the 4th grade, he chaperoned an overnight field trip with us and was an instant hit when he sang Guns n Roses at the Louisville Children's Museum. I'm still not convinced he knew what he was singing, but all of my friends thought he was really cool.  He always invited my friends to take over the house, and didn't even lose his temper when one of them somehow busted the door of his office (then my bedroom) in two... he just found a couple of boards and nailed it back together. 

That's not to say he was always patient... but usually I gave him a reason to be impatient. I can remember one time when I was probably in middle school. Dad talked to me about the fruits of the Spirit.  He apologized for getting angry- a temper that I inherited, and told me he was doing better, because of God.  I don't know that he would even remember that conversation, but it sunk deep, even when I didn't know what he was talking about.  I can't think about the fruits of the Spirit now without thinking of my Dad.

Not every Dad will take a girl to the mall when she is in high school and turn her loose, but that's kind of what he did.  Patiently, he waited as I went from store to store, and would even offer choices and brag on me as I tried on clothes.  I don't remember why Mom didn't go on that trip, because she was usually responsible for school clothes, but I do remember that time with my Daddy.

He's drove all over the country to take us to the beach and to Disney World and Mammoth Cave.  He's an old pro at rummy and likes to fish.  I can remember going through the drive-thru on Sunday nights after church for Kentucky Fried Chicken or sitting in the kitchen as he fixed his specialty, bacon and canned biscuits.  I spent countless hours watching Walker Texas Ranger.  He laughs- loud- at funny parts in the movies.  He loves me and my sisters more than life itself, and loves my Mom.... now almost for 40 years. 



As a teenager, he exasperated me... because I was a teenager.  And I'd quote that verse when we would fight, usually because of my attitude or because he was cautioning me against gossiping.  Provoke not your children... but I never really thought about the second part of that verse until this morning, as I'm sitting here typing.

All of what I thought was provoking (well, most of it), was just discipline, because he loved me and wanted me to do good.  And he lives that second part of the verse- "Bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." Nurture- to love. Admonition- counsel or guidance.

My Dad brought me up by loving me, even when I was unloveable, and giving me Godly counsel.  He didn't just speak the words, either.  He lived them.. and still does today.

That is the biggest blessing that a Daddy can give his daughter or son. Thank you, Daddy.  I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment