Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Personal Growth...

I talked yesterday about the John Maxwell book I am reading.  At the end of Chapter 5, the author discussed using your personality style to help you grow.  Recognizing areas of weakness in order to work on these is a sure way to improve on your people skills. 

Because it had been a while since I had taken a personality test, I hopped online and googled Myers-Briggs available online.  This personality quiz tells you four key aspects of your personality.  I knew I would be an introvert... no surprises there.  In addition, I was SFJ, or sensing, feeling, and judging.  Basically, this means that I am quiet, tend to be loyal, care about others, and like harmony.  Pretty much on target.  Some of my weaknesses in this is that sometimes I care too much about what others think... so I can improve on that.  And I have improved a little on my introversion, letting my husband talk me into being a little more social.  A little...

Today, at our last nursing meeting for the academic year, we had a presenter that spoke on listening and communicating. She addressed four additional personality types.  I found myself fitting more into the relational style.  I do tend to like direction, don't like change or conflict, and empathize with others.  I tend to be a pushover sometimes, and can allow myself to get too caught up in what other people "need".

Each of these types have strengths, and each have weaknesses.  Part of personal growth is making decisions to change what you need to change, and build on what you need to.  As the speaker said today, the most important thing is to Know Yourself.  I'm trying...

No comments:

Post a Comment