Thursday, May 9, 2013

Peace in Any Circumstance

Stressed Less Living... just the name of this book told me it was something I needed.  I often cause undue stress to myself by planning too much or doing too much or not saying no or not knowing how I'm going to keep my yes.

Add that up with Wallace being gone and the end of school and these past couple of weeks have gone by pretty quickly... and I may or may have not have had a couple of mini emotional breakdowns. As in my 10 year old patting me on the back while I said, "Sometimes a woman just needs to cry." We'll understand if he never decides to get married based on his nutcase of a Mama...

This week, though, it is settling down. Wallace has been able to call more and classes are finished.  Caleb is done testing and so there hasnt' been any homework to fight over.  And chapter 5... oh, boy.

It amazes me how we can all be in completely different seasons of life, with completely different circumstances, and a writer can zero in on just what we need to hear.  That shouldn't surprise me, though, because it's a God thing... and that's what I'm hearing from chapter 5. The girls in my online Bible study group are being quiet, and a couple of them have commented back or private messaged me on Facebook and said they are soaking it all in. There's a lot to soak in...

If I had to give you one takeaway, it'd be kind of hard.  My favorite quote from the book, though, is something that I need to remember.  So often, as women, we believe that we can change things... and sometimes, we can. We look for ways to manipulate the circumstances to somehow make it better for our particular viewpoint.  Miles says in her book, "Peace is not a matter of circumstance; it's a matter of the heart.  God can change our circumstances at any time, if He chooses to do so, but He is always more interested in changing us through our circumstances than changing the circumstances themselves."

Get that? Jesus promises peace in every circumstance.  Paul said he had learnt to be content in all circumstances.  It's not just a pipe dream.  It's not just for those in the Bible.  It's for  us, today... peace in any circumstance, because of God's presence.  Allowing God to infiltrate our heart. 

And change us.  Change us, not what we are going through.  He gives us peace for the moment.  And when we get through the end of whatever trial by fire we're going through, we're refined. Changed.  Stronger.  More like Him. 

And better able to meet whatever is thrown our way next.

When Wallace first told me he was going to Texas for 9 weeks, I wasn't real happy.  I thought about all of these military wives who did this on a regular basis, for extended periods of time... but then rationalized that I thought Wallace was done with his playing Army, and it wasn't fair of him to spring this on us.  I thought of Caleb...and of having to do things by myself.  I pouted and wasn't really fun to be around.

And then, the weeks before he left, I hurt.  I cried.  I prayed... and God kept giving me His Word.  Be strong.  I'm with You. I'm Your Rock, Your strong fortress.  I will not leave you. 

And by that second week... peace. While I've still had my moments, I realize that God has a plan.  He's using this to refine me... and maybe to change Wallace a little, too (Not that I don't think he is perfect just the way he is... )

Peace through any circumstance. 

Because His grace is sufficient.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren, I just read your blog post. Isn't it strange that even though our life circumstances may be different, the answer remains the same - JESUS. Jesus finding his home in our hearts to bring us peace because He is the Prince of Peace! How easily I can forget that. Thank you for a great post again.
    Love you, my sister,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lauren, thank you so much for sharing this! I can't imagine all the emotions running through right now. This is something I struggle with, and am glad you posted it-it spoke to me this morning:
    "We look for ways to manipulate the circumstances to somehow make it better for our particular viewpoint."
    It's time to be real, girl. Love you!
    Jennifer Newsom
    OBS Teaching/Exec Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then God's peace, which goes far beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus Phil 4:7 Barnes commentary says "The peace here particularly referred to is that which is felt when we have no anxious care about the supply of our needs, and when we go confidently and commit everything into the hands of God."

    We don't think of peace as strength, but that is what happened to you when you felt God's peace. You became strong in heart, strong in faith. You turned to the One that could lift that burden and gave it to Him. That peace is the result of your turning it over. That strength comes from confidence that God has it all under control. Your circumstance hasn't changed (Wallace is still gone...right? you still have a household to run alone...right?) But your faith in God has given you peace in your circumstance and the strength to do what needs to be done.

    God is good isn't He? (smiling here)
    Loving on you from afar
    Mindy
    The Howell Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Lauren! You had me at "planning too much or doing too much". Amen, sister. It's tricky to disentangle ourselves from All The Chaos sometimes, isn't it? That quote that touched you so about God using our circumstances to change us? It looked me right in the eye, too! I pray that God continues to hold you and comfort you as Wallace is in Texas. What a gift of peace He is so wonderfully providing you with!

    ReplyDelete