Thursday, March 7, 2013

Selah- Quiet Time

This week's assignment in Let. It. Go. by Karen Ehman really hit me close to home.  Chapter 9 was all about soul control vs. sole control, about allowing God to have control and surrendering sole control to Him.  Too often, I don't practice soul control, and don't hand sole control over to God, but instead try to maintain control myself.  Soul control is speaking truth to ourselves, recognizing that there is going to be things in life that we don't like, and stopping to remember Who is in control.  It is only God who is in control. Chapter 10 talks about comparing ourselves with others, and allowing comparisons to steal our contentment.  I'm guilty of this, too, and as Karen addresses, "Comparisons always deal an arresting deathblow to your contentment." I look around sometimes, comparing  my "reality with the perception of someone else's perfection."

The part that really hit home, though, was in Chapter 9.  Sunday morning, I sat and listened to my preacher talk about Psalm 62, and then as I swiped the page on my Kindle that evening, Psalm 62 was written out.  I love it when God wants me to get something, and gives it to me a couple of different ways to confirm. 

Psalm 62:1-2 "Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.  He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved."
I'm in a period of waiting right now, or getting ready to be.  I'm really believing that God has a plan and that at the end of this time, everything will be for the better.  He is my salvation. He is my rock, my firm place, my foundation.  He is my defense.  I'll be shaky, but not greatly moved... hesitant, but resolved.
Verses 5-7: " My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.   He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.  In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah."

My soul waits.  My expecations are in Him.  I'm expecting good things... growth.  Restoration.  Strength.  I expect these things because God has promised good things.  He is my rock, my salvation, my defense... and as the psalmist thinks on it, He becomes determined.  I shall not be moved.  I will not be moved.  I will stand firm. 

My refuge is in Him.  I will trust in Him. God is a refuge.  Selah: Think on this.  Pause.

Selah means to take a breath, to think, to pause, to reflect, to soak it in (my definition).

In order to think and pause and reflect, we must exit the chaos surrounding us and have quiet time.

Most times, my quiet time is in the morning.  It's pretty structured. I read whatever devotion I'm reading for Good Morning Girls and Hello Mornings, and then read my Chronological Bible for 15 minutes.  If I have time, I read some blogs or do some work in a workbook, like a Beth Moore book. 

Reading... journaling some.  But never really reflection time.

Other "quiet times" include when I'm on the treadmill or walking outside. I crank up my worship music, music by guys like Chris Tomlin or Toby Mac, girls like Mandisa or Kari Jobe, bands like Casting Crowns. 

I do think I need to focus on listening more.. so maybe adding in some journaling.  I think that will be really beneficial in this time of waiting.  Trusting in Him.  Selah. 

Selah...

2 comments:

  1. Selah! I love this word! (your definition is awesome! ) Thanks for sharing your blog, Lauren. I really enjoyed reading it this morning! :) I hope you don't mind, I shared it! :) Group 42 Let.It. Go. has <3 Selah <3 in their heart today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this blog. I sure am glad you had time to do one this morning. My mornings are basically the same as yours. And I feel God pulling me more into actual "quiet" time. That means to me to just sit there and quiet my thoughts and my spirit. Let Him fill me with His presence.

    Have a blessed day sister.

    ReplyDelete