Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Psalm 91

Where's your safe place?  Where do you retreat when you feel all alone in the world?  Mine would have to be the bathroom.  I draw a hot tub of water (ok, I don't draw the water.  I turn on the faucet and wait for it to fill up).  I pour lots of bubble bath in, and soak until my skin shrivels up.  Most days, I read a good book, but when trouble comes my way, I just soak.  And soak.  And soak.

This world is not a safe place.  If you turn on the TV, you see that on the evening news.  So much sadness, so much darkness... but we have hope.

Psalm 91 tells us of this hope.  "The one who lives under the protection of the Most High dwells in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

The one who lives under the protection of the Most High.  Who might that be?  It can be me and you... and it's not like it's some big security company we have to pay big money for.  He willingly protects us, because He loves us. 

And we dwell in the shadow of the Almighty.  Often, when I think of shadows, I think of darkness, of things lurking, of frightening bump-in-the-night things... but this shadow isn't like that at all. This shadow is a place of comfort.  He's big enough for all of us to fit in His shadow.  Stop and take that in.  Big enough for everyone... that means that His shadow would cover all.  And keep in mind that He is not darkness, He is light... so we really aren't in dark shadows when we are under His cover.

He is my fortress.  My strongtower.  This is a place of protection.  He is my refuge... shelter, safety, relief.  He is all those things. 

And He's trustworthy. We know that what He says He will do, He will. 

This morning, I'm needing some shelter.  I'm needing some protection.  I'm needing some relief. 
Think I'll just rest a while.  He's got this covered.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lauren for your encouraging words. They are so needed today. I love Ps 91. Today I feel nervous, I'm not sure why. There is a lot going on in my life right now. This Ps is such a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, thank you so much for sharing today. I loved your post.I loved when you said, " He willingly protects us, because He loves us." What a wonderful reminder for us all. God loves us so much and provides the shelter/cover that we need. We just need to run to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl I tell you I agree we are so sisters! You are speaking to my heart again. The tub is my run away place too! WE run to Him and yes lets REst in him. Love you Sister

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, Amen. He's SO got this. I hear you on needing to just soak in it, sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren beautiful blog. Love all your reminders and I thought about that today too as I blogged how those wings are big enough for all of us. It is just amazing. Thanks for sharing today. Debbie W. (OBS Leader)

    ReplyDelete