Friday, March 8, 2013

Ephesians 6:24 SSMT #5

Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen.- Ephesians 6:24

Grace be with all.  Even those that maybe I don't care much for.  As a Christian, I'm called to love everybody, and all Christians are in the body of Christ together.  That doesn't mean that we don't have a hangnail or too that we'd like to snip off... grin.

But honestly, sometimes people just don't gel.  We have different personalities.  Some people may come off as being pushy. Some people may come off as being too kind.  Some people don't know when to hush, and others don't know when to speak up. 

Regardless of our flaws, we are chosen. And we are brothers (or sisters).  In Luke 8, Jesus says that His family are those who obey the Father's commandments.  His commandments focus on love.  And loving each other means giving grace.  Even when we don't want to.

Grace be with all... every last member.  Beginning with me, but extended to everyone.  Everyone that loves Jesus, even if sometimes they don't act like they love Jesus.  Because Jesus loves us even when we aren't loveable.

Caleb asked me the other night, "Mom, sometimes I'm just not sure that I love God, or that He could love me."  I had just read a blog about nightmares parents have for their kids to talk about.  With our world as crazy as it is, I'm really trying to be a light. Sometimes I'm a huge mess, but I want Caleb to realize that God loves us even in our messes.  Sometimes, especially in our messes, because it is then that we are fragile and see just how much He loves us. So I took a deep breath and said, "Now what makes  you say that?"

Without hesitating, he said, "Because I don't always obey Him."

Oh, sweet baby.  Your mama doesn't always obey Him, either.  It's hard for me to understand unconditional love.  How can I explain that to a 10 year old?

"Caleb, you love me, right???" Because I know he does.  Oh, we fight, and he gets mad at me, but he is quick to forgive and offer hugs and snuggles. 

"Yes, Mom...and I see where you're going."

Because Caleb doesn't always obey me.  But even when he is disobedient, he still loves me.  And because I have unconditional love for him, because he is my baby, I forgive him.  And God's forgiveness is so much more.

This love that is talked about here?  In sincerity?  It's a love born out of forgiveness, but also out of repentance.  Confession.  Being honest about the fact that we are all big messes in need of a great big God.  And in this realization, we are to give grace to others... realizing that they are in need of forgiveness just like us.

Thank you, Lord.  Help me be graceful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment