Thursday, March 28, 2013

But God...

"But..."

I used to say but a lot. 

"But, Mom..."

"I would have, but..."

"I wanted to, but..."

But always used to be negative.  It usually came before the excuse of why I couldn't lose weight, or why I didn't clean my room as a teenager, or why I hadn't started on a homework assignment. 

But... "unless, yet, to the contrary." Nothing but an excuse.  And we keep making excuses.  And we keep doing things our way, until we realize it.  just. isn't. working.

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."- Romans 5:8

While we were yet sinners.  I was born unjustified, in sin, before I could walk or talk, separated from God.  Oh, He loved me.  He had big plans for me.  But I wasn't completely His.

And I walked the walk and talked the talk.  I did all the right things.  But... I was still a sinner. 

I was covered by the blood, and hadn't accepted it.  He had paid it all, without me asking... while I was still separated from Him.  I can't imagine it. Can't comprehend it. 

Tonight, the eve of Good Friday.  Jesus knelt before His disciples and washed their feet.  This was the lowest thing that anyone could do... but God.  He did it.  He leaned over and washed their feet, even him that would betray Him.

And He broke the bread, His body broken for me.  He offered the wine, His blood, His sacrifice...

And I kept on saying my buts.  "But I'm too young." "But people will think differently of me." "But I can't do it.  I just can't do it."

And I still can't... But God. 

 " But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)"- Ephesians 2:4
 Rich in mercy.  Full of love.  He loved us, and even though I was dead in my sins, He brought me to life.  By grace, something that I could never earn or never buy, I am saved. 

And it's that easy.  Confess Him as Lord.  Ask for forgiveness for your sins.  Give Him your life.  He's standing there, arms wide open. He's got a plan for you.  There's no more perfect time than this, the eve of Good Friday, which should have nothing good but is really the best because without it I am nothing. 

His grace is sufficient... I am weak... But God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment