Friday, February 15, 2013

2 Peter 3:18 SSMT 2013 #4

If you've been following along you know 2013 is my year of grace.  I've had some good days, when I've held my breath and counted to five (or ten, or fifty), and gave grace. I've had some bad days, too, when I've not...and had to give grace to myself for messing it up.

I'm on my fourth memory verse on grace, and this is probably one of my favorite ones so far, because it is my prayer for this year. 

"But grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever. Amen." 2 Peter 3:18, KJV

This verse is the last verse of the book of 2 Peter, so it is a closing verse.  Peter is wrapping up his message.  That's where the but comes in.  In the verse immediately before it, Peter has given the people a warning of being led away by evil.  So the "but" in the verse is saying... instead of being led away in evil, grow...

Grow in grace.  Isn't that a beautiful thing?  Grow... the definitions of grace given by talk about natural development... but growing in grace is anything but natural. Naturally, we don't want to give grace. We want to give others what they deserve.

And that growth in grace? It comes through knowledge... personal, intimate knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who is the epitome of grace and knows nothing but grace.  He is the one who can make this a year of grace for me, who can ensure that the fruits of the Spirit are evident of me.  And intimate knowledge of Him... through reading His Word and prayer and seeking Him. 

To Him... Jesus... the most high, be the glory. One definition of glorify in the Bible is "to make famous." So many people today seek glory, but it is our job to give Him the glory that is due Him. To make Him famous.  Now.  Right now. In today's messed up, scary world, where nothing could be good unless He was in it.

And forever will take care of itself... can't you just see Him, being crowned King of King and Lord of Lords?

Amen.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment