Wednesday, March 6, 2013

What I'm Reading March edition

My boys had a snow day today.  The college was on a delay, but since I didn't have any students I took a vacation day so I wouldn't have to cross Shoulderblade Hill.  I could use today to catch up on homework or housework, but I'm thinking I have a much better way to spend it... with my nose in a book.  Or in my Kindle.  So I thought I'd write my favorite kind of post- what I'm reading! 

If you read my February addition of what I'm reading, I'm still reading The Great Influenza.  I've still got a way to go with that one, but it's really good.  I love books about medical things, and history, so this is a good combination.  I'm glad my epidemiology teacher recommended it.

I'm also still reading Let. It. Go.  I only have one chapter left, and one more week left in the online Bible study.  We're reading Stressed Less Living next, starting April 7th, so I'll probably start that one in a week or so because I like to keep ahead.  I need this book.  If you're interested in joining, visit www.melissataylor.org.  The study takes place on her blog, but there are also small groups on Facebook (one of which I lead!)

I mentioned Prayer, the book I'm reading for the Bloom book club. I've fallen a little behind on this one.  What I do like about bloom is it is archived, so you can watch the videos when you want to. This is good for me because they usually read 2 chapters every other day, so you're reading 4-5 chapters a week, which is hard for me.  (Maybe if I was just reading one book... but I can't bring myself to that!) This book about prayer is really good.  It talks about the different ways we approach God.  I've been thinking a lot about how I don't want to just bring Him a grocery list of needs, but want it to be true communication between me and God.

I'm on Chapter 3 of John Maxwell's 15 Laws of Growth, reading one chapter most months.  Last months chapter talked about knowing yourself so you can grow yourself.  I'm slowly figuring out who I am.  It's taken me a long time to realize that.  He then gives you questions to help you figure out direction.  I'm going to go back and look over those... I'm pretty satisfied professionally, but know that there are things I need to change within.  I'm working on it.  I'm getting better.

I'm reading The Mayne Attraction, which was a free book for Kindle.  It's a juvenile fiction book, which I didn't realize when I downloaded it and started it, but it's ok.  Good for just a "You don't have to think about what is going on so you can mindlessly empty your mind" type read.

The paperbacks I'm reading are The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg and Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich.  Berg's novel is about a woman going to her 40 year reunion.  I'm just on page 28, but it seems like it is going to be funny.  Wicked Appetite is about cupcake queen Lizzie and Unmentionable Diesel, who appears in her between the number series with Stephanie Plum.  Pure fantasy, can't really happen stuff, but good for a quick, easy to read while I'm sitting in the drivethru read. (Yes, I keep a book in my car so I read while I sit in the drive-thru.  Makes me a much more patient person.  Sometimes I even wish the line was a little longer.)

Then, there's always War and Peace.  I'm no farther in that one than I was a month ago but I.  will.  read.  it.  Eventually. 

And Daniel by Beth Moore Bible study... I'm on Week 3.  Hoping to maybe get into week 4 today, since I'm doing so much reading =)

Some more books on my list? The Kite Runner.  Redeeming Love. The Chance.  Auschwitz. Crazy Love.

Feel free to comment with what you're reading.  I always love suggestions.  And I highly recommend Calling Me Home, which I mentioned last month.  Just finished it this morning and it is really good.  Takes place in Newport in the 1930s and 40s.  Not sure how accurate it is about that particular area, but a good read.

1 comment:

  1. You sound like me! Always reading several books at one time! I love it. :)
    KATY

    ReplyDelete