Friday, March 15, 2013

A Hot Date

There are some movies that are classics, and you can watch again and again.  Gone with the Wind.  The Lion King.  Pretty in Pink.  Grease.  Sound of Music.  The Christmas Story.

And the Wizard of Oz.  That magical movie, where the black and white turns color and Dorothy is whisked off to a land of fantasy.  The Munchkins and Glenda the Good Witch, and those ugly monkeys and the Wicked Witch of the West.

Tonight, I watched Oz the Great and Powerful.  Not quite up to the original Wizard of Oz, but it was still good.  Scary witches, the poppy fields, the Emerald City.  Throw in a little romance (I'll not say between who because I don't want to give anything away...)

What was even better than the movie was the company.  Me and Caleb and Jenna and Chez.  Caleb's getting too big for hugs and handholding, but we shared a popcorn.  Sometimes, it's enough just to have them next to you.

We've had a good spring break.  Tried to stay busy. Had time together, laughed, and pretty much gotten along, which is a miracle.  We've stayed up late, read the Bible together, taken a million pictures, and made some good memories, and we've still got two days of Spring Break left.

My boy is growing up.  As he was getting his haircut, the ladies in the shop were talking about how mature he was.  I couldn't help but agree, even though he still has his moments.  Sitting in that theatre today, I thought of how he wouldn't sit still during his first movie and Wallace had to chase him around the theatre.  I thought of movies where he's held my hand, and movies where he threatened not to go with me anymore because I couldn't keep crying.  And I think of movies where I won't be... because he'll have some cute girl and will be sharing popcorn and holding her hand...

But he's mine now.  Thank God for this boy... and for choosing me, this imperfect Mom, to be his Mama.  I love you, Caleb Bates!

No comments:

Post a Comment