Monday, March 18, 2013

He's Here Through His Gifts

Across the country it's in the 90s and I'm trying really hard not to be jealous.  I'm staring out my office window and it is rain, rain, and more rain.  Cold rain... that chills you to the bone when you go out in it.

The bracelet around my wrist clinks as I type and I look down, a reminder of some of the things I hold dear to my heart.  The heart with the little boy in it... I smile as I think of him bravely pulling the backpack out of the car this morning.  The lightning was bright and the thunder was loud but probably not as loud as the storm in his heart.  It came crashing out last night as he buried his head in my shoulder to hide the tears streaking down his cheeks.  A phone call at just the right time made the crying a little worse, but brave boys fight back the tears and push down the sob in the voice. 

And daddies sometimes cry, too.  Even if they don't admit it.

That same little boy smiled as I said, "Remember, Deuteronomy 31:6."

"I know, Mom.  Be strong.  Be courageous.  God is with me."

Yes, He is. He's with me in this office as the rain pours down and He's with Caleb on the top of the hill as he goes through schoolwork, and He's with Wallace in Texas in the heat.

He's with you, too, wherever you are... taking a test, or cleaning your house, or doing laundry.  He's always here.

"How can that be possible? That God is with us no matter where we are?" One little girl asked me yesterday in Children's Church. And I tried to explain to a 9 year old that even as a grown adult, there are things that I don't understand... and maybe it is the fact that I am grown that causes me not to understand these things. 

As adults, we complicate things.  We listen to the inner voice that has grown stronger and stronger as we age, and hear doubts and unbelief and cynacism. 

And thanklessness... entitlement...expectation.

To be as a young child is to accept what is given, and delight in the gifts.  Ever seen a toddler open presents? They don't even care what is in the wrapping paper... they delight in the wrapping.

So today, I'm thankful for gifts of beautiful red sunrises and my red sign on my wall with Jeremiah 29:11, handcrafted by Holly and Caleb.  I'm thankful for K-love on the radio and for a rubric for my paper that is due in less than 10 hours.  I'm thankful for a text from Caleb telling me that he's having a good day.  I'm thankful for wind chimes and Psalm 46 and messages from friends and families, for kind words and long hugs and smiles.  For Kami and Holly and my family, for Hebrews 11 reminding me Wednesday night that faith is walking, everyday, even when I feel like I can't. I'm thankful for good books and Facetime and March Madness.  I'm thankful for Winter Jam and worship with over 17,000 people.  I'm thankful for late night talks with my mother in law and for Deuteronomy 31:14 this morning... He is not just here, but His Word is for the here and now.

And these gifts, as they add up, how can we doubt that He. Is. Here.?

Counting my 1000 gifts... up to 517.  Join me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment