Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Bowl Fun

Introvert + messy house + lazy girl + Saturday class= I usually am not a good hostess.  At all.  I'm not a party girl.  Most times, I prefer to read on the couch or play Bejewled Blitz on Facebook.  However, Wallace Bates is not an introvert.  He is the life of a party, and the last couple of years, he has called me on my backwardness. Which means that tonight, it was our turn to host the Super Bowl party.

What I've learned is that it's actually fun to get together with people that you like.  No, my house may not be the cleanest or most organized, but the projector TV makes up for it.  And while I'm not a cook and usually serve pizza on a paper plate and chips and dips, it's not always about the food, but more about the fellowship (at least I hope that my friends think that).  What matters is more that I'm opening my heart and offering time and laughter...

So tonight, I watched the Ravens take control of the Super Bowl and ate pizza from Little Caesars and homemade cake and Diet Coke (not Pepsi, even though Wallace announced he loved Pepsi during the halftime show, when we all know that's a lie).  I listened as a little boy downstairs laughed and ran and had a good time with the other kids (even though I did at one time get a text that said, "Mom, I'm fine.  I was just hitting the door with a broom."... Not what I would have called fine.) I got a little scared when the lights went out... I think anyone living in a post 9/11 world automatically thinks about what might be in situations like that.  I laughed when we sat there for ten minutes with the sound off, thinking it was the broadcast when really it was just our set up...

And after everyone left, I sat on my couch, listening to Caleb chatter sitting next to me, and watched one of the best endings to a Superbowl that I can remember as the 49ers came back to almost win.  I watched Ray Lewis with the Lombardi trophy, and thought about how God is truly a redeemer, and can change our lives no matter how extreme, if we are just willing to allow Him to.

Thank you, God, for my friends and my family and for football.  And for good food, not cooked by me...

No comments:

Post a Comment