Sunday, February 24, 2013

My Mouth

I've always had a thing for gossip.  I think it's part of being a girl, but I can remember clearly being in the 5th grade, sprawled out on a purple bean bag in my bedroom, with the telephone to my ear, curling the cord (yes, they actually had cords then) over and over while my best friends and I talked about who knows what... and who.

I can also remember my Dad telling me it wasn't wise to gossip.  That if I didn't know the absolute truth about things, I should just keep my mouth shut.  But still, to be seen as someone who knew... who had the dish about something noone else did... instant recognition.

As I got older, this penchant for words expanded to include providing my two cents worth when it wasn't even worth a penny.  Didn't matter if I knew what I was talking about, or if I had thought the statement through (because most times I hadn't).  I had an opinion, and everyone needed to know about it.

I've since realized that words hurt.  And therefore, I can hurt others in what I say. Not just in what I say, but in how I say them.  Hence my lesson this morning, with God stepping on my toes.

I just blogged last week about Proverbs 15:1, giving a gentle answer.  I also read in Luke 6 last week about good fruit and out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. That means that what spills out of mouth shows what is in me... and sometimes, that's a very bad thing. 

This morning, I was reading in Lisa Harper's Malachi.  I really like the way this study is set up because the lessons are short, and you can do two or three at a time if you get behind.  As I was working through one, she brought up Matthew 12:33-37, which is essentially the same material as Luke 6, except it adds in some very scary words.  "I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, 37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”- Matthew 12:36.  Every careless word.  Give an account.  Seriously?  Good thing God's got forever, because I say a lot of careless things.  I speak a lot before I think.  Sheww!

And then Proverbs 10:19, "When there are many words, sin is unavoidable, but the one who controls his lips is wise." See, when we just run our mouth, chances are we'll run it about something we don't know about.  Or eventually we'll say something that we don't mean, or something that is a false truth, or something that we've not thought about that will harm others. 

The tongue is a fire.  It burns... us, when we talk out of both sides of our mouth or when we gossip or when we put our foot in our mouth.  Others... when it's them we're talking about or talking to.  It's hard to tame, and it can get us in trouble. With others.  With God. 

So the answer?  Put a big piece of duct tape across our mouths for the rest of our lives?  I wish that was the simple answer. The real answer, though, is to look to Jesus.  He was led like a lamb to slaughter and didn't even open His mouth against His accusers.  He didn't get fiery hot and angry and let whatever was running through His mind spill out toward others. 

Get in His Word.  When my heart is full of His Word, my fleshly words won't be so apt to come out... or hopefully I'll think before I speak.

Speak truth... and edification.  Build each other up.  Live Ephesians 4:29 and Romans 14:19. And pray that others will do the same for us.

And when our mouths get the best of us, ask for forgiveness, because He is faithful and just to forgive us. We just have to open our big mouths and ask.  His grace is sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment