Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Time Waits for No Man

One of my new year's resolutions was to get more sleep. I have always been a night owl, and I've been okay with that, but the last couple of years I've been crazy, trying to burn the candles on both ends. I've also been grouchy, cranky, and not able to think well sometimes as a result of it.

It was pretty easy for me to think about this resolution coming off of Christmas break. We all slept late, got to bed about midnight, and to be honest there were several days when I took afternoon naps. Coupled with the idea that wintertime means hibernation for other species, I kind of get the idea that it's okay to want to stay in the bed. Nothing like climbing under the covers when it is cold outside.

Then, reality. And meetings. And syllabi and unit outlines and promotion notebooks and a to do list that just keeps multiplying. And homework and exercise and all of the other stuff I've just got to do, like get on Facebook and read on my Kindle. Not to mention that ANOTHER one of my resolutions was to read my Bible and spend more time focusing on God... which should have always been my priority. How does a girl fit it all in?

Prioritizing. God first. Family second. Work third. So, I've been trying to start the day off right and read my Bible. I'm reading my Chronological Bible through and I really like it. I'm also reading a Jesus Calling devotion that is wonderful; I read my version in the morning and one for kids with Caleb at night. That's been great, until today... when I had to be in Hazard at 845 for meetings. I'm not a morning person, and getting up has never been my strong suit. So here I am, already almost 11 PM and I haven't read my Bible today. Sometimes the day doesn't always go by my priorities, or my plan, as I mentioned yesterday...

Time with family has been rough today, too. Wallace had ball practice, Caleb stayed for after school, and they didn't get in until 630. It was time to leave for church then. Wallace was in bed by the time we got home, but Caleb and I have had some interesting conversation, and I got to stop by and see my little sister, who had her wisdom teeth cut out today. I also got to sit by my Dad in church, which is always good. He's kind of loud. He likes to Amen and laugh out loud, but it's the kind that makes you feel good on the inside, so it's all good.

Work... Simman training, which was interesting, for the most part, but a long day. Good day, though, with some great co-workers, and lots of laughs. Not much checked off my to do list, but there's always tomorrow and Friday before the real fun starts next week.

So today flew by, and by the time I get my Bible reading in, it will be a new day. A few hours of sleep and I'll be ready to do it all over again. And while I'm not getting to bed as early as I'd hoped, I'm thinking that God's grace is sufficient to get me through tomorrow. His mercies are new every morning. (Lamentations 3:23). I'm just thankful for the minutes He's given me, the opportunities that I have. My prayer is that He will help me determine how to best use the time I've been given to give Him glory. "So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom." Psalm 90:12.

No comments:

Post a Comment