Monday, January 16, 2012

If You're Happy and You Know It

Some people just exude happiness. I am not one of them. My sister Holly is. There is just a peace about her, and true joy. I, on the other hand, tend to sulk. Sometimes I make a "mad face" even when I'm not mad. I'm trying to do better,though, really I am. After all, even when I am at my worst, I can still find something in my life to be happy about.

I've taken the Joy Dare: 1000 Gifts in 2012. This is based on the book 1000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp, one of the favorite books I read last year. Today I was challenged to find three gifts where someone showed happiness. Now being that I pretty much stayed in the house today, I haven't had that many opportunities, but this is what I've got.

1. When Caleb got a high score of over 700,000 on Temple Run on his Ipad tonight. His expression of happiness was very low-key compared to some I've seen from him in the past, but a smile and a hug is what I got.
2. When Jackson City beat Owsley County tonight (boys). Happiness at ballgames is full of fist pumps and clapping loudly.
3. When Wallace's girls came back from a 20 point deficit to cut the lead to 5 and Wallace called a time out... He was happy. Proud. Ectastic. Whether it was because his girls had fought back and not quit or because that time-out meant he could stand up and yell and stomp, I'm not sure, but I think it was the not quitting.

Happiness means different things to different people. True, unadulterated happiness is a prize. There's quiet happy, loud happy, teary-eyed happy, dignified happy. Lord, help me be happy in You, and let me be demonstrative about it. Now, I'm going to be happy to go to bed. Night, world =)

No comments:

Post a Comment