Thursday, January 12, 2012

Helping Others Out

Today, I gave blood. It wasn't really my first choice of how to spend the afternoon, but after a frantic text from my son, I ventured up to Jackson City to try to help his class win the contest for most people giving blood. After answering all of the required questions, getting my heart rate and blood pressure checked (I have to keep an eye on it. It was up. I'm hoping it was just because I was nervous and had just walked up the hill from Lees), getting my finger poked, I reclined on the chair and turned my head as they stuck that big needle in my arm. Wasn't too bad. Didn't take too long. I didn't even read my Kindle much because there were several people in there that I talked to. (Got to get The Girl Who Kicked the Dragon's Nest... is that the title? Been recommended by several people and the topic of my conversation...)

15 minutes to save a life... I know that sounds corny but as a nurse I know it is true. Giving blood really does save lives. I've hung enough blood in my day to know that the supply gets short. Yes, it's a few minutes of discomfort, but what is that in comparision to that cancer patient's suffering? Or to the little boy or girl who may be bleeding to death after a car wreck? How about someone's grandma who just had a fractured hip repaired? Just a few minutes, really, nothing that we all can't spare. If you can't donate blood because your iron is low or you have some other medical problem, there are all kinds of other things you can do to give back to others. This is just how I chose to do it today, with the prompting of a 9 year old. My best bet, I'll do it the next time around, too. Now, what are you going to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment