Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Just the Normal

At the beginning of the New Year, I sat down and came up with what I wanted to do to make myself a better person. One of those "resolutions" was to blog every day. How will this make me a better person? Well, it gives me the opportunity to talk about my feelings in a constructive manner. Let's face it, things just look better sometimes in black and white. And when you type something negative, well, it seems so final... that you go back and hit the delete button and start thinking of things in a more positive manner. I've been trying to do this in my head, but my thoughts are just too fast sometimes, but I have been trying to "gratify rather than complain." By this, when I start to say something negative, I think of the positive for it. For example, when Caleb was doing his homework, he got really tickled. He does this as an escape tactic, has for years. Usually I end up getting upset, but today, I tried to count to ten, look at him, and laugh with him. Time wasn't wasted because it was a good time with my boy.

I knew when I started writing this consistently that I wouldn't have something enlightening to say every day. I'm just not that smart of a person. But what I do have to offer is a normal, day-to-day existence, and you can learn a lot from this. Or at least, I can. I went to the office today with a list and a plan. Not much on that list got checked off, and I totally went off my plan, but that's okay. I still had a semi-productive day, and got several small things checked off. I rode home with the two most handsome men in the world. I sat and helped with homework... unplugged, no computer in my lap, no cell phone in my hand (for the most part), and tried to devote my undivided attention to multiplication with regrouping. I am ashamed to say that it took my total attention to assist with that. (I'm better with words than I am with numbers... that's not saying much!). I spent some time with my Mom and some time with my Mother-in-law. I spent 45 minutes with my treadmill and the Kentucky Wildcats. I read Jesus Calling for Kids with Caleb and laughed some at old pictures.

So while today wasn't really anything special, it was a day. 24 hours. 1440 min. 86,440 seconds. Nope, nothing that I may remember this time next year, but it was time well spent. And maybe that's the most important lesson. Maybe that's what I need to learn the most this year... to take nothing for granted, to live every minute completely. To love and laugh and hurt and cry and just... Be. Because in the end, that's all I've got, the every day, mundane, normal, ain't nothing special but it's mine life that God has given... and that ain't nothing special is enough... because His grace is sufficient.

Wow, I wrote a lot even though I thought I had nothing to say... grin ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment